St. Andrew’s on the Square - Kamloops, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member T0SHEA
N 50° 40.500 W 120° 20.241
10U E 688126 N 5617067
Quick Description: Standing majestically on the corner of Seymour Street and Second Avenue, St. Andrew's is the oldest public building in Kamloops, having been built in 1887. It was originally built as a Presbyterian Church on land donated by the CPR.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 8/21/2014 11:24:25 PM
Waymark Code: WMMAET
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 1

Long Description:
St. Andrew's on the Square

Description of Historic Place
Located at the corner of Seymour Street and Second Avenue in the heart of downtown Kamloops, St. Andrew’s on the Square is a prominent, late Victorian Gothic Revival church with an offset square front tower and spire. A large public square is now located to the east side, but is not included in the formal recognition.

Heritage Value
St. Andrew’s on the Square is significant as a community facility and focal point that has served the changing social and religious needs of Kamloops residents for well over a century.

Built in 1887, the church is valued as the City’s oldest public building. In response to the growth of the city and the expansion of the original local Presbyterian congregation, the church was built on land donated by the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) at a location that was then on the outskirts of town. Construction funds were raised largely by CPR employees, many of whom were of Scottish descent. The church served a Presbyterian congregation until 1925, when unification resulted in the formation of the United Church of Canada. In 1942, it was purchased by the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada and renamed Calvary Temple. During the late 1950s and 1960s, this site housed the largest Sunday School in Canada. Over the years, the church was also used by various groups for meetings, as a badminton hall and as a gymnasium.

This historic place is also valued for its association with the Reverend Phil Gaglardi (1913-1995), one-time provincial Minister of Highways famed for the expansion of B.C.’s road and ferry systems, who led the church during a period that included a restoration in 1945 and the construction of a large addition to the south in 1958.

The church also has social value as a successful community centre and reception hall. In 1991, after a period of decline, the building was bought by the City to prevent demolition. In 1996, through the collective efforts of tireless volunteers, the Kamloops Heritage Society, the City of Kamloops and a grant from the B.C. Heritage Trust, St. Andrew's Church was restored to its original exterior appearance and reopened for public use in association with the adjacent public square.

St. Andrew’s on the Square is valued as a noteworthy late Victorian example of the Gothic Revival style, as seen in its impressive Gothic pointed-arch windows, steeple, corner buttresses and scalloped wooden roof ridge. The window sash are fitted with stained-glass panels donated by various firms and residents since 1999.

Furthermore, the Church is a significant surviving example of the work of influential architect, civil engineer, surveyor and politician Robert Henry Lee (1859-1935), who was responsible for laying out the townsites of Nicola, Merritt and Princeton, and produced architectural designs for numerous residences, a Roman Catholic Church, a branch of the Bank of B.C. and this church. Lee was active in civic affairs, serving on the first Kamloops Council in 1893, and as mayor from 1894 to 1896.
From the Kamloops Heritage Register

St. Andrew's

Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 1/1/1887

Age of Church building determined by?: Historical Society

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Presbyterian

Street address of Church:
159 Seymour Street
Kamloops, BC Canada
V2C 1Z7


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.