By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

McIntosh Memorial - Kamloops, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member BK-Hunters
N 50° 40.373 W 120° 21.204
10U E 687000 N 5616791
Quick Description: Erected at a prominent viewpoint in 1932 by the Rotarians, the McIntosh Memorial was dedicated to James McIntosh, influential pioneer of the Kamloops area. The memorial is just west of Columbia Street at Greenstone Drive.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 8/20/2014 10:30:18 PM
Waymark Code: WMMA9V
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member saopaulo1
Views: 3

Long Description:
The McIntosh Memorial

Description of Historic Place
The McIntosh Memorial is a one-storey Period Revival pavilion, featuring heavy timber posts, half-timbering and a high-pitched shingle roof. It is situated at the Kamloops Lookout, on a steeply sloping landscaped site on Columbia Street West, with expansive views of Kamloops.

Heritage Value
The McIntosh Memorial, built in 1932, is significant for its associations with James McIntosh (1843-1901), one of Kamloops’s most influential pioneers. Born in Ottawa, McIntosh came to Kamloops in 1865 where he was employed by the Hudson’s Bay Company, and established himself by helping to build the first paddlewheeler that serviced the Thompson waterways. In 1868, with partner William Fortune, he pre-empted land at Tranquille, and proceeded to build and operate a flour mill and sawmill. A few years later in 1878, McIntosh embarked upon another business venture with John Andrew Mara (1840-1920), named the Shuswap Milling Company, which consisted of a grist mill and sawmill. His business ventures continued to flourish when McIntosh completed the first waterworks in Kamloops in 1887, and later installed the first light system in the town. In addition, McIntosh was highly involved in the Kamloops community, serving as the first magistrate, an alderman, first president of the Board of Trade and chairman of the board of the Royal Inland Hospital. His efforts, both social and economic, led him to become known as the ‘King of Kamloops.’ Commissioned by the Rotary Club to commemorate McIntosh’s community efforts, this memorial was originally situated on the west end of the Nicola Wagon Road, where it was unveiled in a ceremony on September 15, 1932. In 1989, the McIntosh Memorial was moved to its current location on Columbia Street West.

The McIntosh Memorial is further valued as an example of the work of prominent Kamloops architect Iain R. Morrison (1906-1954). Born in Kent, England, Morrison studied architecture at St. Andrew’s College in Fifeshire, Scotland, and emigrated to Canada in 1926. After working for several larger firms in Vancouver, he opened an office in Kamloops in 1932, where he worked until his death at the age of forty-eight. The decorative detail of the McIntosh Memorial expresses an interest in traditional British stylistic elements, and is a noteworthy example of the romantic traditionalism popular between the First and Second World Wars.

Character-Defining Elements
Key elements that define the heritage character of the McIntosh Memorial include its:
- prominent location at a public lookout
- form, scale and massing as expressed by its one-storey height, rectangular plan, central washroom core, central roof vent and steeply-pitched gabled roof
- wood-frame construction, with heavy timber posts and arched brackets made of local spruce, and cedar shingle roof
- elements of the Period Revival influence as expressed in traditional detail
From the Kamloops Heritage Register

McIntosh Memorial

Plaque or monument: A mix of the two

Placed by?: Rotarians of Kamloops, BC

Visit Instructions:
Please tell us about the plaque/ monument. If you want to provide photos, you may.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Rotary International Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.