Municipal Flag - Lebo, Ks.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 38° 24.930 W 095° 51.482
15S E 250470 N 4255786
Quick Description: This flag is flying on a single flagpole beneath the American Flag in a small pocket park located at the corner of Ogden and Broadway in Lebo, Kansas.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 8/9/2014 9:04:21 AM
Waymark Code: WMM899
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Bernd das Brot Team
Views: 3

Long Description:
This flag is flying on a single flagpole beneath the American Flag in a small pocket park located at the corner of Ogden and Broadway. The flag has a medium shade of blue for the background color. The words "Lebo"(in yellow and in a large font) and "The City of Lebo, Ks" (in white and in a small font) are separated by an orange line and extend from the hoist end of the flag to approximately two-thirds of the way to the fly end. The rest of the flag is taken up by the City's graphic which is a circle of which the top half is orange fading to yellow and the upper half is light blue fading into the darker blue of the background of the flag. My interpretation is the ground growing the wheat for the lower half and the upper half being the Kansas sky. There are also two sets of rails and 6 stalks of wheat.

From the Lebo, Kansas website:
(visit link)

"Coal mining had become very popular in Osage County and the Arvonia Settlement (located north of Lebo today) by 1873. There were rumors that the railroad was going to build a railroad from Emporia to Kansas City. According to a 1932 article of "The Lebo Enterprise", David L. Jones was an acquaintance of C.S. Beadle who was a civil engineer for the railroad. It was because of this acquaintance that Jones learned about the plans to construct a railroad in northern Coffey County that ran from Emporia to Kansas City. The railroad owned a section of land in northwest Coffey County and the railroad wanted to build a depot there also.

On April 17, 1883, David L. Jones purchased 80 acres of the norhtwest corner of Section 9, Township 19, Range 14 of California Township. The land that Mr. Jones purchased was east of the railroad land where the depot was going to be built. Mr. Jones wanted to start a new town and he knew the railroad would be a very important part of a town. By May 10, 1883, Mr. Jones and William M. Barr (who had helped Mr. Jones with the planning of the new townsite) had mapped the streets and alleys of the town. Buildings and homes were being built, businesses were starting, and the town of Lebo was growing. On February 11, 11, 1884, the first train came through the town. The town of Lebo was thought to be a great town because it had a strong farming industry, livestock industry, coal mining industry, and the railroad. On October 16, 1886, the town of Lebo became a City of the third class."
Visit Instructions:
Post a different picture of the flag taken by you.
Optional: find additional information about the flag
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Municipal Flags
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.