By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Phare de Gatteville (Normandy)
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Dorcadion Team
N 49° 41.790 W 001° 15.951
30U E 625058 N 5506330
Quick Description: Phare de Gatteville, also known as Pointe de Barfleur Light, is an active lighthouse near Gatteville-le-Phare at the tip of Barfleur, Manche department, in the Lower Normandy region of France.
Location: Normandie, France
Date Posted: 6/16/2014 2:42:50 PM
Waymark Code: WMKYPQ
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 6

Long Description:

Phare de Gatteville, also known as Pointe de Barfleur Light, is an active lighthouse near Gatteville-le-Phare at the tip of Barfleur, Manche department, in the Lower Normandy region of France. At a height of 247 feet (75 m) it is the third tallest "traditional lighthouse" in the world.

Strong currents and many shipwrecks at the tip of Barfleur, the most famous of which being the White Ship, necessitated building a lighthouse at the location. In 1774 a cylindrical 25 m granite lighthouse with a stone rectangular main building were built. The lighthouse was topped with a coal fire. It was first lit on November 1, 1775, and was originally called Phare de Barfleur (Barfleur Lighthouse). In September 1780 the lantern was replaced with 16 oil lamps with a fire glazed glass lantern and Tourtille-Sangrain reflectors.

In 1825 an upgrade of the lens was planned, requiring raising the tower an additional 32 m but the building proved not to be wide enough. Thus, the architect Charles-Félix Morice de la Rue drew plans for the tallest lighthouse in the world for that time. It was built 60 m from the old lighthouse. Building took place from 1829 to 1835 and the light was first lit on April 1, 1835. The smaller tower's lantern was removed, and it was turned into a semaphore. It remains on site. Vegetable oil was used until 1873, when it was replaced by mineral oil. On May 20, 1891 the name of the lighthouse was changed to Phare de Gatteville (Gatteville Lighthouse). On January 17, 1893 the lantern was replaced with an electric lantern. Sautter-Harle mercury bearings were installed in 1903. In 1944 the lighthouse was liberated without major damage and quickly returned to operation. In 1948 it was connected to the electrical network.

The lighthouse remained open to the public until 1996, when it was closed for renovation. It reopened July 5, 1997, as a lighthouse museum. [wiki]

Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
thom55 visited Phare de Gatteville (Normandy) 7/13/2018 thom55 visited it
junkys visited Phare de Gatteville (Normandy) 8/17/2017 junkys visited it
Les Sacapoux visited Phare de Gatteville (Normandy) 5/6/2015 Les Sacapoux visited it
7seven visited Phare de Gatteville (Normandy) 12/19/2014 7seven visited it
celene37 visited Phare de Gatteville (Normandy) 12/15/2014 celene37 visited it

View all visits/logs