By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Remains of the Episcopal Castle - Mulhouse, Alsace, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 47° 44.687 E 007° 19.789
32T E 374800 N 5289285
Quick Description: Tour Nessel is one of the two towers that are the last remains of an episcopal castle that was destroyed in 1262.
Location: Grand-Est, France
Date Posted: 5/26/2014 3:57:13 AM
Waymark Code: WMKT4H
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 1

Long Description:
Tour Nessel is located west of the historic center of Mulhouse. Along with Tour de Diable which is located at the next street about 150 meters south, it is the last remain of a castle that was destroyed in 1262.

Mulhouse became property of the bishop of Strasbourg in 1005. There are no documents about the construction history and architecture of the castle; the local archives were destroyed in the fire of 1550, but the fact that the two remaining towers are over 150 meters apart tells us that it must have been huge.

In the 13th century, Mulhouse became involved in the ongoing rivalry between the emperor and the bishops. The town changed hands several times, it was suppressed by the bishops and granted freedoms by the emperor. In 1223 it was fortified by Emperor Frederick II. The conflict escalated in 1261. Mulhouse opened its gates for the troops of the emperor and citizens attacked the castle of the bishop. The siege lasted three months, then the Mulhousiens took over the castle and burned it down; only the two towers remained intact. In 1275 Mulhouse was declared an imperial city and finally became an independent republic in 1347, which lastet until 1798.

The towers were integrated into the city fortifications. At Tour Nessel was a gate until it was closed in 1444. In the early 19th century the city fortifications were dismatled and the towers were left as independent buildings. The medieval looking castle-like building complex the tower is attached to today is in fact a modern structure. It is a school that was built in 1905.
Accessibility: No access- Private

Condition: Completely ruined

Admission Charge?: no

Website: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Castles
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.