OLDEST--Public Structure in Arkansas - Norfolk, Arkansas
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 36° 12.627 W 092° 17.217
15S E 564094 N 4007526
Quick Description: The Jacob Wolf House, located at Highway 5 and Fishermans Street in Norfolk, Arkansas, is a two-story "dog-trot" style log cabin near the confluence of the Norfolk and White Rivers.
Location: Arkansas, United States
Date Posted: 4/27/2014 6:09:37 PM
Waymark Code: WMKKPN
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 11

Long Description:
The two-story log structure known as the Jacob Wolf House stands on a hillside overlooking the juncture of the White and North Fork Rivers in the present-day town of Norfork (Baxter County). It was constructed in 1829 as the first permanent courthouse for Izard County in Arkansas Territory and is the oldest public structure in Arkansas.

Before permanent Anglo-American settlement occurred, the juncture of the White and North Fork rivers was the site of early fur-trading activities. From 1819 to 1828, numerous villages of Shawnee and Delaware Indians were located nearby. Trade with these Indian tribes prompted Jacob Wolf to establish his homestead at the mouth of the North Fork River in 1824. In 1825, he was granted a license to operate ferries across both rivers. Wolf, of German ancestry, had arrived in the area in 1820. He was a merchant, builder of log structures, carpenter, and blacksmith.

Izard County was created in 1825, and in 1826, Jacob Wolf was elected as a representative to the General Assembly of Arkansas Territory. In October 1829, he successfully passed legislation to locate the permanent county courthouse in Liberty, the town that had developed around his homestead and ferries. Wolf donated land to the county for the courthouse site and then secured the contract for building the structure.

Wolf built a two-story log house with a central breezeway on the first level, typically called a dogtrot, to serve as the courthouse. The large upper-level room that extends over the breezeway served as the courtroom. Judges and lawyers traveled from distant parts of the territory to appear at the regularly scheduled county and territorial court sessions. The lower level housed the county clerk’s office. John P. Houston, brother of American legend Sam Houston, served as a county clerk in this courthouse. Families from throughout the county camped on the courthouse grounds when court was in session, socializing and competing in games.

C. F. M. Noland, traveling up the White River in 1830, noted in an article published in the Arkansas Advocate, noting that where the North Fork River joins the White River “…stands the Seat of Justice, Liberty; its situation is elevated and commanding….” Noland noted that Liberty had a tavern (inn), store, and blacksmith shop. A post office was established here in 1826.

New counties had been created out of Izard County by 1835. Liberty was no longer an advantageous location for the county seat, which was relocated to the now non-existent town of Athens. Wolf, still serving in the General Assembly, passed legislation to have the land he had donated to the county returned to him. The structure he had built as a courthouse then became the home of his extensive family of sixteen children and five stepchildren.

Thousands of early settlers followed the White River into the interior of north Arkansas and passed by the Wolf House. Many stopped to trade, and Wolf prospered. He was an early leader of the Baptist churches in Arkansas until his death on January 1, 1863. The house was sold in 1865.

In the late 1930s, the Jacob Wolf House came under public ownership and was maintained over the years by the stewardship of local residents. In the 1960s, Gerald L. K. Smith on behalf of the Elna M. Smith Foundation restored and furnished the house. A public dedication took place on May 8, 1966, with an address by former congressman Claude Albert Fuller.

A 1999 Courthouse Restoration Grant from the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program provided funding to restore the structure to its appearance when it served as a territorial courthouse. At that time, conflicting dates for its construction were resolved through scientific studies. The restoration was completed in 2002. The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 13, 1973, and presently serves as a museum.

- Encyclopedia of Arkansas Website

"The Wolf House is a two-storey "Saddle bag" log structure built by Major Jacob Wolf after his arrival in north Arkansas.

The foundation is stone, supporting a hand hewn log sill system. The squared outer log walls are connected at the corners by the chamfer and notch method common to early 19th century construction. The average log sectional dimensions are 11" x 7". The original chinking material has been replaced with a cementitious mortar.

The first floor has two rooms of equal size flanking the open dog-trot breezeway. The upper floor also has two rooms. One room is larger as it extends over the one-storey dog-trot. The second floor is reached by a run of open stairs from the first-storey porch to the second-storey porch. Access to all rooms is gained from the full length porches front and rear. The overall dimensions of the building, including porches, are 30 x 45 feet.

The roof is bellcast gabled with the porch roofs pitched at a slightly lower pitch than the main one. The roof is covered with hand riven cedar shingles. The porches are supported by a series of eight peeled, rough posts, not squared.

There are two chimneys outside on the gable ends. They are constructed of stone up to a line approximating the eave line and brick from there up.

The windows are double hung with a pattern of 6 x 6 lights. They are shuttered with solid, vertically boarded blinds.

- National Register Application

Type of documentation of superlative status: Encyclopedia of Arkansas website

Location of coordinates: Eastern Entrance of the "Dog-Trot"

Web Site: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:


Post one photo of the waymark that is a different view from the one on the page and describe your visit, including the date. Other information that you may regarding the waymark is encouraged. Neither you nor your GPSr need to appear in any photos!
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Superlatives
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.