By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Landeck - Klingenbach, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member KaPsTeam
N 49° 08.498 E 008° 00.373
32U E 427519 N 5443676
Quick Description: The Landeck Castle is a ruined hill fort southwest of Landau, in Klingenmünster in the district of Southern Wine Route in Rhineland-Palatinate.
Location: Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
Date Posted: 1/11/2014 2:23:35 AM
Waymark Code: WMJXAZ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Blue Man
Views: 12

Long Description:
s with the overwhelming majority of Palatine castles the exact Year of foundation is unknown even at Burg Landeck. It is generally believed that the castle as a successor for the nearby , probably in the second half of the 12th Century ruined castle tower " Schlössel " was built. This assumption however, there is also little direct evidence as to the further thesis that both castles had possessed a protective function for the nearby monastery blades ( Neumünster ) . The visible baustilistischen features Landecks refer to the period around 1200.
In fact, however, is mentioned, and so sure is Landeck only in 1237 on the occasion of the division of Leininger goods between the Count Friedrich III . and Emich IV of Leiningen . In this division, the castle fell IV with all Zubehörden to Emich , who founded his own line of Leiningen- Landeck.
Latest in the middle of the 13th Century the plant was an imperial fief , which was located in the common fief of the Counts of Zweibrücken and the Count of Leiningen . 1255 began Emich IV messengers from Mainz and Worms, who moved to Alsace to a Cities in Hördt from and deported them to Landeck . After the rapid extinction of the sidelines Leiningen- Landeck in the year 1289/90 King Rudolf of Habsburg gave back the fallen half of the imperial castle in 1290 to his nephew , the Alsatian Governor Otto III . of ox- stone, while the other half owned by the Counts of Zweibrücken- Bitsch remained .
Only since the beginning of the 14th Century can be more or less justified , in the long run prove successful attempts but the Abbey Klingenmünster to spend Landeck and surrounding property as their own , which primarily affect the ochsensteinischen share . Also important is the recognizable since the mid-century ambitions of the Count Palatine of the Rhine should be to bring the castle in her hand , which 1358/66 with the acquisition of the right opening has started. In a similar manner by intra-family disputes , disputes the Common among themselves , and not least because of financial difficulties due , fell in 1405 , another portion to the bishopric of Speyer. The obtained written sources , including especially important the truce , witness the attempts of the owners now three parties - the Counts of Zweibrücken- Bitsch , the Lords of Ochsenstein and the bishopric of Speyer - to regulate their castle community sustainable.
Although Landeck end of the 15th Century had been removed, the peasants of Alsace piston pile the plant conquered the Palatine Peasants' War in 1525 and burned them out. The damage created at that time , however, were eliminated appeared to again . After the Lords of Ochsenstein 1485 and the Counts of Zweibrücken- Bitsch -Lichtenberg 1570 the Elector Palatine were initially able to increase its ownership stake to three quarters and 1709 finally completed through an exchange with the bishopric of Speyer. Until the French Revolution the Palatinate was now the sole owner of Landeck stay , which was , however, now destroyed. When this destruction was done by French troops , is not clearly determine contrary to popular opinion, which is called the 1689 , but is expected to be done rather already 1680.
After the Congress of Vienna in 1815 fell to the Bavarian State is the impressive castle ruins today one of the of " castles, antiquities Rhineland -Palatinate " managed objects . Special contributions to the preservation and promotion of the system has earned the Landeckverein founded in 1881 .
Current usage [ Edit]



"Knights camp" at a medieval market / Landeckfest
The ruined castle Landeck is today a popular destination represents the castle tavern is managed throughout the year except on Christmas Eve. The tower can be climbed via an internal , wooden spiral staircase and, from its battlements impressive views. On the first floor of the tower there is a small exhibition of archaeological finds from the castle grounds . Medieval markets are held annually under the name " Landeckfest " On the grounds of the ruined castle of Landeck.
Conditioning [ Edit]

The remaining parts of the building date back to the period around 1200 . Clearly two eras can be seen. Among the oldest castle parts include the keep and the surrounding walls . The tower intersects with one side in the wall that has been built so a little earlier. Until the beginning of the 15th Century consisted Landeck only from the direction indicated by the inner ring wall main castle . The far advanced bridge tower is only at the end of the 13th Century or even been built later.
The main wall has been changed several times over the centuries , probably as a result of the inserted building , which came in against the wall, and this used as exterior wall. A reconstruction of the Lords of Ochsenstein end of the 13th or early 14 Century belong to the remains of the western residential construction . Dating back to the late 14th Century over the house, on the eastern side of the Bering , at least initially had been partially performed in the framework construction and later in stone. This east- west building and these should almost certainly the " bäumenen ( = wooden ) house " and the " stone house" match , which are called in a paper source from the year 1407. The transition between the two buildings, which reached the castle gate and up to the southern end of the main castle was built over by 1421 through a cross- wing .
Well in the first half of the 15th Century, the main castle was surrounded by today's kennel and with half towers and so adapted to the altered defense-related requirements. More construction could possibly arise in 1456 invested in the manner of Barbican " Vorwerk" including the bridge tower.
Other construction projects are up for destruction at the end of the 17th Century no longer survived. Since 1881 the rubble wall damaged bushes were removed at the behest of Landeckvereins removed and made ??repair measures . From the large amount of Fund stones were erected the castle tavern and assured doing some art historically significant building spolia . In the sixties of the 20th Century saw extensive renovation and restoration work under the supervision of the State Office of Historic Monuments . It was 1967, the original entrance situation - before the castle was accessible only by digging out a earth ramp on the east side - restored above the new bridge on the remaining pillars.
Accessibility: Partial access

Condition: Intact

Admission Charge?: yes

Website: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Castles
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Nathalain visited Landeck - Klingenbach, Germany 10/8/2016 Nathalain visited it
zappapapa visited Landeck - Klingenbach, Germany 6/29/2014 zappapapa visited it

View all visits/logs