Cimetière Notre-Dame de Hull, Hull (Gatineau), Québec
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member elyob
N 45° 26.880 W 075° 42.760
18T E 444270 N 5032966
Quick Description: The cemetery is located at 75 boulevard Fournier, secteur Hull, Gatineau.
Location: Québec, Canada
Date Posted: 11/25/2013 8:03:53 AM
Waymark Code: WMJJKM
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member Max Cacher
Views: 7

Long Description:
Une superficie de 33 acres de terrains bien aménagés et boisés dans un endroit d'une beauté paisible où ràgne le calme, le respect et la sérénité.

Il semble que les Oblats de Marie Immaculée ont acquis en 1866, un terrain d'une centaine d'arpents sur le boul. Fournier. En 1872, le Père Henri Tabaret a acheté dans le même secteur, 52,5 hectares de terrain de John et William Welch, marchands de bois de Hull. Par la suite, Andrew Leamy a donné 1,6 hectare de terrain pour ériger un cimetière à cet endroit. Le tout constituait donc une propriété assez vaste pour accueillir un cimetière.

Par la suite, International Portland Cement (site actuel du Casino du Lac-Leamy) a acheté une portion de ce terrain, d'autre portions du terrain ont fait l'objet de lotissements alors qu'environ 13 hectares servent de lieu de sépultures depuis maintenant près de 140 ans.

L'entrée du cimetière Notre-Dame est assez impressionnante. Elle est dotée d'un portail en pierres taillées construit en 1902 d'après les plans de l'architecte hullois, Charles Brodeur. Le portail est surmonté d'une statue de l'Ange de la mort sonnant la trompette du jugement dernier. Fabriquée en cuivre martelé, la statue a été réalisée par le sculpteur québécois Arthur Vincent dont c'est la dernière oeuvre d'importance.

De nombreuses personnalités sont inhumées au cimetière Notre-Dame. Parmi celles-ci, notons:
• la comédienne, auteure et critique Laurette Larocque, mieux connue sous son nom d'artiste, Jean Despréz (1906-1965);
• le fondateur du Rassemblement pour l'indépendance nationale, Marcel Chaput (1918-1991);
• le Père Louis-Étienne Reboul (1827-1877), fondateur de la paroisse et de la Cité de Hull ;
• l'acteur et metteur en scène René Provost (1903-1966), père du comédien Guy Provost ;
• la pianiste et poétesse Clara Lanctôt (1886-1958) ;
• l'allumettière Donalda Charron (1886-1967) qui a dirigé la fameuse grève des « faiseuses d'allumettes » de la E.B. Eddy en 1924 ;
• Marcelline Dumais (1850-1916), propriétaire de la maison où a commencé le Grand feu de Hull en 1900;
• Marie-Thérèse Archambault (1904-1960), première femme laïque à obtenir un doctorat en philosophie en Amérique du Nord en 1932 et héroïque défenseure de la langue française en 1917 ;
• le peintre Jean Alie (1925-1997) ;
• et plusieurs autres personnalités bien connues dans la région.


The cemetery is an area of 33 acres of land well landscaped in a place of quiet beauty and calm, respect and serenity.

The Oblates of Mary Immaculate order acquired in 1866 a field of about a hundred acres on Boulevard Fournier. In 1872, Father Henri Tabaret bought in the same sector, 52.5 hectares of land from John and William Welch, Hull timber merchants. Subsequently, Andrew Leamy gave 1.6 hectare of land to erect a cemetery at this location.

Subsequently, International Portland Cement (current site of the Casino du Lac-Leamy) bought a portion of this land, other portions of the land were then subject of subdivisions while about 13 hectares provide burials for almost 140 years.

The entrance to the Notre-Dame cemetery is quite impressive. It is adorned with a portal of carved stones built in 1902 based on the plans of the Hull architect, Charles Brodeur. The portal is surmounted by a statue of the Angel of death sounding the trumpet of the last judgement. Made of hammered copper, the statue was completed by Quebec sculptor Arthur Vincent which was his last work of importance.

Many personalities are buried at Notre Dame cemetery. These include the actress, author and critic Laurette Larocque, better known under her artist name, Jean Despréz (1906-1965); the founder of the Rassemblement pour l'indépendance nationale, Marcel Chaput (1918-1991); Father Louis-Etienne Reboul (1827-1877), founder of the parish and the city of Hull; the actor and director René Provost (1903-1966), father of actor Guy Provost; pianist and poet Clara Lanctôt (1886-1958); Donalda Charron (1886-1967) matchmaker who led the famous strike 'trendsetters of matches' of the E.B. Eddy in 1924; Marcelline Dumais (1850-1916), owner of the house where began the great fire of Hull in 1900; Marie-Thérèse Archambault (1904-1960), first lay woman to obtain a doctorate in philosophy in North America in 1932 and heroic defender of the French language in 1917; the painter Jean Alie (1925-1997); and many other personalities well-known in the region.


The text above is taken from the SIÈGE SOCIAL LES JARDINS DU SOUVENIR web site. According to an on-line photographic collection of monuments, this cemetery contains more than 16 000 burials.

City, Town, or Parish / State / Country: Not listed

Approximate number of graves: Not listed

Cemetery Status: Active

Cemetery Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Post an original, un-copywrited picture of the Cemetery into this Waymark gallery, along with any observations about the cemetery.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Worldwide Cemeteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
The Burrow visited Cimetière Notre-Dame de Hull, Hull (Gatineau), Québec 5/21/2022 The Burrow visited it
Duodenfer_ visited Cimetière Notre-Dame de Hull, Hull (Gatineau), Québec 4/20/2021 Duodenfer_ visited it
Applefish visited Cimetière Notre-Dame de Hull, Hull (Gatineau), Québec 11/11/2019 Applefish visited it
petendot visited Cimetière Notre-Dame de Hull, Hull (Gatineau), Québec 5/10/2014 petendot visited it
Weathervane visited Cimetière Notre-Dame de Hull, Hull (Gatineau), Québec 12/8/2013 Weathervane visited it
Weathervane visited Cimetière Notre-Dame de Hull, Hull (Gatineau), Québec 12/8/2013 Weathervane visited it

View all visits/logs