Federal Building and United States Courthouse - Wheeling, West Virginia
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
N 40° 04.059 W 080° 43.291
17T E 523747 N 4435302
Quick Description: Historic federal building in the Wheeling Historic District in Wheeling, West Virginia.
Location: West Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 10/29/2013 8:27:06 PM
Waymark Code: WMJCGF
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member ddtfamily
Views: 1

Long Description:
"The Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse, Wheeling, West Virginia is a courthouse of the United States District Court for the Northern District of West Virginia located in the city of Wheeling, West Virginia. Built in 1907, the building still serves its original function, and was renovated and expanded in 1937, and again in 2004. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 as a contributing building to the Wheeling Historic District.

In 1849, the first suspension bridge spanning the Ohio River was constructed at Wheeling, providing a new route to the West along the National Road. The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad mainline reached Wheeling in 1853, prompting a dramatic increase in population, commerce, and industry. As a result of its proximity to important transportation routes, Wheeling prospered. It served as the capital of West Virginia from 1863 to 1870 and 1875 to 1885. Consequently, Wheeling outgrew the 1859 U.S. Custom House (now West Virginia Independence Hall) designed by Ammi B. Young. In 1902, federal officials obtained a site for a proposed new structure. The public initially criticized the site selection because it was located away from the center of the city. However, following the 1907 completion of the building, which included a post office, courthouse, and custom house, development soon shifted to the north.

The Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse was constructed under the Tarsney Act of 1893, which allowed the United States Department of the Treasury to hold competitions for the design of select federal buildings with the intention of improving governmental architecture's quality. The Wheeling federal building, designed in the Beaux Arts Classicism style, set a high standard for architectural excellence. Marsh & Peter, a prominent firm with several Washington, D.C., commissions, designed the building. Wheeling architect Frank Faris served as the local project superintendent.

The building has been expanded and altered several times. In 1937, as Wheeling required increased services, architect George W. Petticord designed an addition that complemented the original building's Beaux Arts character. Completed in 1938, this expansion accommodated a new post office and district courtroom. Petticord, a Wheeling native, also completed plans for a dramatic interior renovation that replaced many original finishes. In 1999, a small wing was added to the rear of the building to create more secure holding and circulation areas for detainees. Most recently, HLM Design with Goody, Clancy & Associates, designed a dramatic glass annex. Completed in 2004, it contains federal agency offices and court-related spaces." - Wikipedia
Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.