Chepstow Priory - Portal - Gwent, Wales. Great Britain.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member veritas vita
N 51° 38.559 W 002° 40.360
30U E 522650 N 5721344
Quick Description: The Priory and Parish Church of St. Mary, features an ornate west doorway, that dates from 1072 . The priory is located in Chepstow, Gwent, South Wales.
Location: South Wales, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 10/27/2013 4:53:31 AM
Waymark Code: WMJBYM
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 1

Long Description:
Chepstow Priory features a fine Norman entrance arch. The heavily ornamented west entrance, Norman doorway with zigzag and lozenge patterns, dating from the early 12th century.

"The Benedictine priory was founded following the building of the castle in 1068. The five western bays survived to become a parish church that was added to in 1841. A Norman nave with simple arcades and the late Norman west front survive. A fine decorated doorway is not to be missed." Text Source: (visit link)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopaedia.
St Mary's Church, Chepstow "was founded around 1072 as a Benedictine priory by William fitzOsbern and his son Roger de Breteuil, 2nd Earl of Hereford. FitzOsbern had been granted the Lordship of Striguil by his second cousin King William in gratitude for his support in the Norman conquest of England, and was responsible for starting the building of a new castle overlooking the River Wye on the border with the kingdoms of Wales." Text Source: (visit link)


Main events in the history of this site:

"pre 1071: Foundation - Chepstow was founded by Earl William fitz Osbern, lord of Chepstow Castle, as an alien priory of his foundation of Cormeilles in Normandy. It was the first Norman house founded in Wales.

c.1291: Wealth - According to the Taxatio Ecclesiastica the priory received £7 7s 2d annually in assized rents and 6s 8d from its courts.

1387: Royal custody - The priory was seized and handed to royal commissioners until the prior of Chepstow paid a significant sum for having retained custody of the house since the start of the war.
1391: Custody - On 13 October the king granted Chepstow Priory to Giles Wenlok, clerk, as farmer of the priory, during the French wars.

1394-1398: Custody - From 1394 until 1398 there were no monks at Chepstow; in June 1398 John Workman, a monk, was granted keepership of the farm of the priory and Benedict Cely, knight and royal marshal, was given custody of the house.

1442: Independence - Chepstow became an independent priory with a community of English monks.

1458: Custody - On 25 July Chepstow was granted to God’s House, Cambridge.

1534: Numbers - At this time the community comprised a prior (Roger Shrewsbury) and one monk who subscribed to the Act of Supremacy.

c.1535: Wealth - According to the Valor Ecclesiasticus the priory had an income of over £32.

1536: Dissolution - The house was surveyed on 30 May 1536 and dissolved 6-7 September that year.: Text source: (visit link)
Type of material of the door: Other

Functional door?: Yes

Location of this door/way: On private property

Is it accessable only by paid admission": Free but in a restricted area

Style: Romanesque

Address or physical location:
Chepstow Priory.


Visit Instructions:
  • At least one photo is required.
  • A VISITED only remark, will be deleted.
  • Search for...
    Geocaching.com Google Map
    Google Maps
    MapQuest
    Bing Maps
    Nearest Waymarks
    Nearest Doorways of the World
    Nearest Geocaches
    Nearest Benchmarks
    Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
    Recent Visits/Logs:
    Date Logged Log User Rating  
    veritas vita visited Chepstow Priory - Portal - Gwent, Wales. Great Britain. 12/29/2013 veritas vita visited it