All Saints - Mickleover, Derbyshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 54.254 W 001° 32.842
30U E 597699 N 5862604
Quick Description: All Saints church, Mickleover, Derbyshire.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 10/24/2013 9:51:50 AM
Waymark Code: WMJBD9
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 4

Long Description:
Mickleover was part of the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Mercia and it was probably shortly after the King of Mercia accepted Christianity in 653 AD that the first church was built on this site. It is likely that it was built from wood and may eventually have been destroyed by fire. We believe it was dedicated to St. Nicholas, but we do not know when or why the dedication was changed to All Saints.

At the time of the Domesday book (1086-7) the manor of the Mickleover was given by the crown to Burton Abbey, together with Littleover Findern and Potlock (near Willington). The churches of these three villages were chapels under the supervision of Mickleover.

The first stone on this site was built between 1310 and 1330 and parts of this remain today in the tower and the chancel. Little is known of its development between then and the middle of the 19th century. Two carved heads in the chancel, probably dating from medieval times show signs of damage that nay have occurred during the Commonwealth period (1649-1660) when some extreme puritans were desecrating churches. The list of vicars near the main door makes further reference to these disturbed time: William Harrcott was replaced by Samuel Charles in 1655, and he in turn was ejected in 1660 when the monarchy was restored. For some years in the 18th century, before the building of the first school in Mickleover, the chancel was used as a schoolroom. The children “trampling and playing” was recorded at this time caused damage to the tombstones on the chancel floor.

The earliest picture we have of the church dates from 1825. It shows a lead roof, a brick or timber porch and a window in the roof facing south. This suggests there may have been a musicians’ gallery at the back of the church, as was common in village churches before organs were introduced.

In the middle of the 19th century there was a major rebuilding of the church, completed in 1858. The lead roof was replaced with one of slate. The pillars and arched of the nave and chancel arch were rebuilt. The north aisle was extended and new stone porch was built onto the south aisle. The medieval east window, consisting of two lights, was replaced with one of three lights given by the vicar at the time in memory of his wife.

During the 20th century a vestry and organ chamber were added to the northeast corner of the building and later a second vestry for the choir was added to the northwest corner.

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Muddy_Puddles visited All Saints - Mickleover, Derbyshire 11/25/2013 Muddy_Puddles visited it