By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Sandy Springs and the Civil War - Fulton Co., GA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North
N 33° 55.448 W 084° 22.491
16S E 742674 N 3756848
Quick Description: This interruptive historic marker is located in the west parking lot next to the walk leading to the main entrance of the Sandy Springs Public Library located at 395 Mt Vernon Hwy, Sandy Springs, GA.
Location: Georgia, United States
Date Posted: 10/2/2013 10:26:32 AM
Waymark Code: WMJ6KC
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Sprinterman
Views: 0

Long Description:
Sandy Springs and the Civil War


The summer of 1864 brought changes to Sandy Springs that no one living at the time could have imagined. For a time, during the first weeks of July, 1864, the fields and farms of Sandy Springs became the location of the second largest city in the south. Only the city of New Orleans could boast a larger population. Under General Sherman’s command, it is estimated that between 60,000 and 80,000 men, their equipment, supplies and support flooded into a community of only around one thousand people remaining after most of the men had left to fight the war.

After the first Union Troops crossed the river on July 8th, 1864, General Schofield’s troops marched from around the area of Heard’s Ferry and Holy Innocents School through Sandy Springs, headed for old Cross Keys (now the intersection of Johnson’s Ferry and Ashford Dunwoody Roads). Part of Schofield’s troops (Hascall’s Division) went south from Mount Vernon Hwy. along Long Island Drive to Mount Paran Road, where they camped for the night near Burdett’s farm. They then headed east to rejoin Schofield’s other troops (Cox’s Division), who had gone eastward on Mt. Vernon Hwy. past the Sandy Springs Methodist Church and Campgrounds into the very heart of Sandy Springs. At the intersection of Mount Vernon Hwy. and Johnson’s Ferry Road, near today’s library they turned south.

Gen. McPherson’s Army, most to crossed into the northern edge of Sandy Springs starting on July 9, 1864, headed south following the newly graded bed for what would become the Roswell railroad after the war. They headed towards to Decatur to cut the railroad line between Atlanta and Richmond, Virginia, the capital of the Confederacy.

Gen. Garrard, after capturing and crossing at McAfee’s bridge (today’s Holcomb Bridge) on July 10th, 1864, ultimately headed for the train lines between Decatur and Stone Mountain, to choke Atlanta by cutting the supply lines.

Gen. Thomas’s 4th Corp., led by General Howard, crossed into Sandy Springs on July 12th, 1864 at Powers Ferry. They eventually left the Crossroads area in headed south on Powers Ferry Road, across Long Island Creek and on towards Buckhead. These Union Soldiers next met a small contingent of Confederates who tried making a stand it Seaborne, GA, but to no avail. The community of Seaborn was located around the intersection of Mount Paren Road in Power’s Ferry Road.

Once Sherman’s three armies were across the river, rested and re-supplied, the majority of them marched onwards towards Atlanta and Decatur on the 17th and 18th of July, 1864. Many had been in Sandy Springs for over a week plundering food, water, and fuel supplies and destroying much that they could not cart off.

While the majority of the troops headed for Atlanta, Sherman left units behind to protect the river crossing and guard his rear. The troops left behind occupying Sandy Springs became marauders who would terrorize the few remaining citizens until many of them were forced to flee.

The exodus of the majority of the Federal Army brought no relief to those remaining in Sandy Springs. Hunger, death and desperation became part of every family’s legacy.

Sandy Springs Hospitality and Tourism
Sandy Springs Historic Preservation Society
Heritage Sandy Springs
Georgia Civil War Commission


More Information:
Civil War in GA - To the Chattahoochee River and across
Civil War in GA - Army of the TN moves to cut the August Railroad
Wikipedia - Sandy Springs, Georgia
Type of Marker: Building

Marker #: None

Date: 2013

Sponsor: Sandy Springs Hospitality and Tourism, Sandy Springs Historic Preservation Society, Heritage Sandy Springs and the Georgia Civil War Commission

Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the marker, yourself at the marker, your gps at the marker, or anything specific to the text on the marker. And don't forget to enjoy your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Georgia Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Lat34North visited Sandy Springs and the Civil War - Fulton Co., GA 10/3/2013 Lat34North visited it