St Mary the Virgin - Newton Solney, Derbyshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 49.724 W 001° 35.234
30U E 595183 N 5854154
Quick Description: St Mary's is some 800 years old. It is a delightful church with many interesting features.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 9/29/2013 11:43:49 AM
Waymark Code: WMJ5XP
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 4

Long Description:
"This church was founded in the 12th century.

Newton Solney is a small parish and village on the east bank of the River Trent at its junction with the River Dove, both of which (in 1932) separated Derbyshire from Staffordshire. The Church of St Mary the Virgin was, according to Kelly's Directory of 1932, founded in the 12th century, and "a picturesque building of stone, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with octagonal spire, containing 3 bells". A doorway in the north aisle and some fragments of the original chancel are of Norman date. The Early English period is illustrated by several lancet windows in the same aisle, but the greater part of the church belongs to the Decorated period, including the arcades of the nave, the east window and the tower and spire. During the Perpendicular period the walls of the nave were raised and a clerestory constructed, the roof being flattened. There is a small piscina niche in the south wall of the chancel, and an octagonal font of the 14th century. There is a mutilated stone effigy of a knight in armour, probably 13th century, placed against the wall of the south aisle. Another knightly effigy, now headless, dates from about 1275. At the west end is a recumbent alabaster effigy, in good preservation, of a knight in armour, on an altar tomb of the same material, and dating from the last quarter of the 14th century. These three monuments are supposed to represent members of the Solney family who resided here in the 13th and 14th centuries. At the west end also is a large marble monument to Sir Henry Every bart. d.1709. There is a monument in the churchyard to Thomas Gayfere (d.1827), a skillful master mason employed by the architect James Wyatt, who restored Henry VII's chapel and the Hall at Westminster. The parish records date from 1589."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Alancache visited St Mary the Virgin - Newton Solney, Derbyshire 6/15/2017 Alancache visited it
Muddy_Puddles visited St Mary the Virgin - Newton Solney, Derbyshire 5/18/2014 Muddy_Puddles visited it

View all visits/logs