Chapelle des Trinitaires - Arles, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member razalas
N 43° 40.588 E 004° 37.557
31T E 631066 N 4837224
Quick Description: [FR] Le Chapelle des Trinitaire est classé aux monuments historiques. [EN] The Chapelle des Trinitaire in the city of Arles is classified as historical monument.
Location: Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Date Posted: 9/16/2013 8:55:33 AM
Waymark Code: WMJ3A2
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 14

Long Description:
"La chapelle est construite en 1630.

La nef de l’église, de style Gothique tardif, présente une abside à cinq pans. L’édifice est ceinturé d’une corniche classique à modillons et le centre de sa voûte est frappé de la croix trinitaire, que l’ont retrouve sur les piliers latéraux. Un arc triomphal ogival supportant les armes d’Arles sépare le chœur de la nef. Celle-ci est éclairée par huit fenêtres, dont quatre aujourd’hui murées, tout comme les trois chapelles latérales qui ouvraient sur le flanc ouest. La façade, refaite en 1884, relève d’un style éclectique. Son grand porche en plein cintre présente des claveaux (pierres taillées en coin) en bossages très saillants.

Une imposante fenêtre de style Renaissance, avec fronton à volutes et meneaux et croisillons, est ouverte en son centre, et un large fronton à denticules (ornements en forme de dent) surmonte l’ensemble. A droite et à gauche, de grands chaînages encadrent la chapelle. Le cloître se composait d’une série d’arcs en plein cintre bordés d’un tore (moulure ronde entourant la base d’un pilier) épais et d’un premier étage, dont la toiture était supportée par deux colonnes corinthiennes. Les quelques vestiges en sont visibles depuis la médiathèque ou le jardin des arts.


L’Ordre des trinitaires qui avait pour mission de racheter les captifs emmenés en esclavage par les barbaresques, fut fondé en 1198 par saint Jean de Matha et saint Félix de Valois. Il s’était établi à la même époque à Arles, entre le Vieux-Bourg (aujourd’hui la Roquette) et le Méjan. En 1199, Jean de Matha, de retour de Rome, passe à Arles et recrute quatre pères qui fondent le couvent des Trinitaires, laquelle congrégation ne fut reconnue officiellement qu’en 1203. Dès lors, ils purent édifier leur première église, complétée d’un cloître et d’un cimetière. Leur vaste terrain fut tronqué lors de l’élargissement du rempart en 1253, et surtout en 1573 à la construction de l’hôtel-Dieu Saint-Esprit (actuel espace Van Gogh). En 1630, les anciens bâtiments furent rasés, et fut posée la première pierre d’une nouvelle église et d’un nouveau couvent qui reçut le vocable «de la Trinité et de Saint-Roch». Désaffectés et vendus comme biens nationaux à la Révolution, il ne reste plus aujourd’hui que la nef de la chapelle et quelques beaux éléments des galeries du cloître englobés dans les magasins de la rue. La façade fut refaite en 1884 par Auguste Véran." (visit link)


[EN]
"The chapel was built in 1630.

The nave of the church, the late Gothic style, has a five-sided apse. The building is surrounded by a classic cornice and corbels the center of the arch is struck by the Trinity Cross, which were found on the side pillars. An arched triumphal arch supporting weapons Arles separates the chancel from the nave. It is lit by eight windows, four walled today, as the three side chapels which opened on the west side. The facade, rebuilt in 1884, reports an eclectic style. Its large arched porch has quoins (corner stones cut) very prominent bosses.

An impressive window Renaissance pediment with scrolls and mullions and braces, is open in the center, and a large pediment denticles (tooth-shaped ornaments) overcomes all. A right and left, big chaining frame chapel. The cloister consisted of a series of arches lined by a torus (round molding around the base of a pillar) thick and a first floor, the roof was supported by two Corinthian columns. The few remains are visible from the library or garden arts.


The Order of Trinitarians that mission was to redeem captives taken into slavery by Barbary, was founded in 1198 by St. John of Matha and St. Felix of Valois. It was established at the same time in Arles, between the Old Village (now Roquette) and Méjan. In 1199, Jean de Matha, returning from Rome, Arles passes and recruits four fathers who founded the convent of Trinitarian congregation which was not officially recognized until 1203. Therefore, they could build their first church, complete with a cloister and a cemetery. Their extensive field was truncated when the enlargement of the wall in 1253 and especially in 1573 with the construction of the Hotel-Dieu Saint-Esprit (current space Van Gogh). In 1630, the old buildings were razed, and was laid the first stone of a new church and a new convent was given the word "of the Trinity and St. Roch." Decommissioned and sold as national property during the Revolution, it remains today as the nave of the chapel and some beautiful galleries of the cloister elements encompassed in the street shops. The facade was rebuilt in 1884 by Auguste Veran."
Translated from: (visit link)
Date the Church was built, dedicated or cornerstone laid: 1/1/1630

Age of Church building determined by?: Cornerstone or plaque

If denomination of Church is not part of the name, please provide it here: Catholic

Street address of Church:
Arles, France


Primary website for Church or Historic Church Building: [Web Link]

If Church is open to the public, please indicate hours: Not listed

If Church holds a weekly worship service and "all are welcome", please give the day of the week: Not listed

Indicate the time that the primary worship service is held. List only one: Not Listed

Secondary Website for Church or Historic Church Building: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
1) A photo of the church is required for visits to a waymark.

2) Please share some comments about your visit.

3) Additional photos are encouraged. If you can have information in addition to that already provided about this church, please share it with us.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest This Old Church
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
SISABIEL visited Chapelle des Trinitaires - Arles, France 11/15/2017 SISABIEL visited it
Blogi visited Chapelle des Trinitaires - Arles, France 7/2/2015 Blogi visited it
KaPsTeam visited Chapelle des Trinitaires - Arles, France 4/26/2014 KaPsTeam visited it

View all visits/logs