St Mary the Blessed Virgin - Osgathorpe, Leicestershire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 46.297 W 001° 21.748
30U E 610470 N 5848121
Quick Description: Parish church dedicated to Saint Mary the Blessed Virgin, dating from the fourteenth century.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 8/31/2013 8:36:16 AM
Waymark Code: WMHZCK
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 1

Long Description:
"Osgathorpe is a small village which lies in a fold of the hills in North West Leicestershire, England, and is about a quarter of a mile the A512 Coalville to Loughborough Road.

The parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary the Blessed Virgin and dates from the fourteenth century. It was heavily restored in the nineteenth century, with the addition of a polygonal apse to the chancel. A tower with a small pyramid turret was built at the south west corner of the church in around 1930 and contains two bells, which are rung using a clocking method. There are pleasing north and south windows to the nave and chancel, and in the south wall of the nave can be seen a very unusual hagioscope (or squint), which is set diagonally within the stonework, to allow a view of the altar."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.