By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Newsboy Statue - Great Barrington, MA
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member neoc1
N 42° 11.035 W 073° 22.210
18T E 634591 N 4671482
Quick Description: The Newsboy Statue is located in a traffic triangle formed by Maple Street, Silver Street and Newsboy Monument Lane in Great Barrington, MA
Location: Massachusetts, United States
Date Posted: 8/19/2013 1:03:08 PM
Waymark Code: WMHWEK
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 0

Long Description:

In 1895, Col. William L. Brown the part-owner of the original New York Daily News newspaper funded this monument to what he considered to be the unsung heroes of the newspaper industry, the newsboy. Those old enough to remember will recall the pre-teen children who would sell freshly printed editions of city newspapers on the streets using the catchy phrase - "Extra! Extra! Read all about it!.

A 5' high bronze figure of a newsboy stands on top of a 10' high polished granite base. The newsboy is wearing a pushed back cap, opened collar shirt, jacket, knickers and long socks. In his raised right hand he holds up a copy of a newspaper for sale. A bundle of newspapers are tucked under his left arm.

The monument was once served as a watering trough for horses, dogs and cats. Various fountain heads are embedded in the base. Water once poured water out of a the heads of a lion, dog, cat and Satan into individual basins.

The monument was sculpted by David Richards and cast by Maurice J. Power, founder. The monument was a gift to the people of Great Barrington and was installed in October 10, 1895. It was restored on its 100th anniversary in 1995.

A near bronze plaque is inscribed:

Newsboy Statue and Fountains

Presented to the town of Great Barrington by Colonel William L. Brown
on October 10, 1895. Colonel brown was a resident of this neighborhood
and part-owner if the first New York Daily News. It was Colonel Brown's
wish to create a lasting monument honoring hard-working newspaper carriers.

Sculptor: David Richards
Stone Mason: Mathias Lux
Commissioned: by William L. Brown
Original Design Committee
William L. brown, Samuel Camp, William Tefft, D.W. Morrison
Fountainhead Restoration Sculptors: John and Elinor Lovegrove
Monument Conservation: Clifford Craine
100th Anniversary Restoration Commissioned by:
The New England Association of Circulation Executives
in association with the Great Barrington Historical Society
and friends of the Newsboy

Price of Admission: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Roadside Attractions Website: [Web Link]

Location Website: [Web Link]

Weekday Hours: Not listed

Weekend Hours: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
When posting a new log for a waymark, please include a picture if there isn't one included on the original posting. Add your thoughts about the roadside attraction and let everyone know if it is worth while stopping to see.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roadside Attractions
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.