By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

The Prime Minister - Camp Hoover Historic District - Shenandoah National Park, Virginia
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member outdoorboy34
N 38° 29.426 W 078° 25.203
17S E 725013 N 4263386
Quick Description: This is one of three remaining structures of Camp Hoover/Rapidan Camp in rural Madison County, Virginia within the boundaries of Shenandoah National Park, and requires a 2.1 mile hike from the Big Meadows Developed Area of Skyline Drive.
Location: Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 7/28/2013 10:32:02 AM
Waymark Code: WMHNRX
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 0

Long Description:
Named for British Prime Minister Ramsey MacDonald, built during naval disarmament talks in late 20s. Although designed by architect, First Lady instrumental in overall design. Camp Hoover (Rapidan Camp) was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1988.

Throughout the Hoover Administration, Camp Rapidan was the backdrop for policy debates and political strategy sessions. The Hoovers’ decision to build Camp Rapidan has also been credited with initiating the construction of Skyline Drive. The camp’s association with Hoover was not casual. Its location was handpicked by Herbert Hoover in the spring of 1929 while on a horseback survey of the upper Rapidan terrain. Even before a site was selected, Lou Henry Hoover had a clear idea of what was required: “My husband’s idea was to have a camp down on one of the three-covered flats beside a stream or at the junction between two streams,” Mrs. Hoover wrote in a letter pre-dating the site selection expedition. In his memoirs, Herbert Hoover credits his wife with the layout and design of the camp’s simple, rustic buildings and ground.
Camp Rapidan’s significance extends to its impact on the expansion of conservation efforts during the Hoover Administration. The effect of the camp’s scenic values influenced the Administration into other conservation matters including the preservation of Niagara Falls, tighter control of oil leases on public lands and more efficient use of water for power, irrigation and navigation; protecting National forests and increasing the National Park system. Upon the close of his administration, President Hoover donated the land to the Commonwealth of Virginia for use of Shenandoah National Park, which he was instrumental in getting the ground rolling for. The camp had later uses, and in 1959, 10 of the 13 structures were razed, leaving only three, The Creel, The Prime Minister's Cabin and The Brown House. In 1999, the National Park Service spent two years restoring the grounds to reopen it to the public for viewing purposes.

The Creel was built in 1929 and was designed by architect James Y. Rippin. The structure was later altered by the National Park Service between 1960 and 1963. Between 1998 and 2001, the cabin, along with this area was redeveloped for the current display exhibit. Finally, in 2001, designed by landscape architect Reed L. Engle, the cabin was restored to its original state and is currently used for exhibits.
Name of Historic District (as listed on the NRHP): Camp Hoover

Link to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com page with the Historic District: [Web Link]

NRHP Historic District Waymark (Optional): [Web Link]

Address:
Rapidan Road Syria, Virginia


How did you determine the building to be a contributing structure?: Other (Please explain in the Private Message field)

Optional link to narrative or database: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest NRHP Historic Districts - Contributing Buildings
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.