By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Saint Nicholas Church Clock - St Nicholas Church Street, Warwick, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Master Mariner
N 52° 16.904 W 001° 34.925
30U E 596726 N 5793320
Quick Description: This 1785 church is located on the east side of Saint Nicholas Church Street. The church's tower has eight bells dating from 1957. There is also a clock mounted in the tower.
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 7/24/2013 11:10:40 AM
Waymark Code: WMHMVF
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 3

Long Description:

The clock face is on the front of the tower and is in a recessed opening that matches windows on the other faces of the tower. Trees in the churchyard prevent a good view of the clock face.

The face is painted black with the hour and minute marks painted directly onto the face in gold. The hour marks are Roman numerals with "IIII" used instead of "IV" for four. The hands, also gold in colour, are decorative but without tails.

The Church Bells of Warwickshire website tells us about Saint Nicholas's bells:

The bells here were unringable for about 30 years until being recast and rehung in a new cast iron lowside frame by Taylors in 1957. These were a ring of 6 by Richard Keene, 1695. The treble and tenor were recast by Matthew Bagley in 1770 & 1773. The fifth was recast by Edward Arnold in 1798. The third was recast by C & G Mears in 1849 and the treble again was recast in 1877 by Mears and Stainbank. The ring was made into an octave a decade later.

Tilley & Walters note that there were 5 bells by 1552. The 3rd and 4th were recast in 1554-59 by Newcombe of Leicester and there were other, unspecified, recasts in 1561, 1562 and 1565. In 1571 another bell was recast. Another bell, the 4th, was recast by Dankes and Baker in 1619. All went quiet until 1695!

They are an excellent ring of 8 that is popular with peal ringers. Recently there has been adjustable sound control added and this should maintain this church's position as the leading pealed tower in the Coventry Diocese.

This church is easily spotted when coming from the Coventry side of town. It has a spire and is set on the opposite side of a roundabout to the corner of the castle walls. Limited parking is available for cars in the churchyard, enter along St Nicholas Church Street. There is a pay and display car park round to the left at the roundabout at the end of the street. Entry is by the tower stairs on the north side.

1     John Taylor & Co, Loughborough    1957     4-1-13   26.00"   1401.0Hz (F+5c)
2     John Taylor & Co, Loughborough    1957     5-0-04   27.125"  1321.0Hz (E+3c)
3     John Taylor & Co, Loughborough    1957     5-0-12   28.00"   1173.0Hz (D-2c)
4     John Taylor & Co, Loughborough    1957     5-1-27   30.375"  1044.0Hz (C-4c)
5     John Taylor & Co, Loughborough    1957     6-1-11   32.50"    928.0Hz (Bb-8c)
6     John Taylor & Co, Loughborough    1957     7-3-15   34.875"   875.0Hz (A-10c)
7     John Taylor & Co, Loughborough    1957    11-0-12   39.00"    775.5Hz (G-19c)
8     John Taylor & Co, Loughborough    1957    15-2-20   43.875"   691.0Hz (F-19c)

The church's website tells us of the history of the church:

A unique late 18th century church building and centre, St Nicholas Church guards the southern entrance of old Warwick. The present Church was built in 1785, replacing a decaying mediaeval church, the roots of which lay in a former Saxon nunnery on the site.

Few new churches were built at that time, after the short period of classical revival church building in the style of Wren. St Nicholas is an unusually fine example of Gothic revival architecture, pre-dating the Victorian excesses, and displaying a rare, delicate, simple style. This creates an unusual Church worship and community centre.

Internally the unusually fine columns support a squared capitol, from which rises a very shallow vaulted plaster ceiling. With only four free standing pillars, the essence of the building is a light and airy square space with large decorated style windows. Originally built with a small rounded apse, the former chancel arch has been filled in, hiding behind it a heavy later Victorian, dark chancel. This is now divided horizontally into two floors, creating valuable activity space, sustained by kitchen and toilet facilities.

The approach to the church through the space beneath the western spire leads to a ‘welcome’ area beneath the western organ gallery, more reminiscent of a Wesleyan chapel! This provides a seating and meeting area, with a removable glass screen to the main church space, with modern toilet and catering facilities, the latter with lifting shutters into the main church area.

The present Church is still regarded historically as the Castle’s Church; hence the Earl of Warwick is a patron. Connections with the Castle go back a long way and our links are still strong today, for example, our Choir sings on the Castle Tower at sunrise on Ascension Day.

The overall result is a 200 year old Gothic style people’s centre for worship and prayer, doubling as a pleasant area for events such as the Christmas bazaar, meetings, concerts, church parties, as well as the formal worship of a live church community in the 21st century.

The church is Grade I listed with the entry at the English Heritage website telling us:

Rebuilt in C18 on site of a medieval church. Steeple with porch at west end rebuilt 1748 perhaps by Job Collins and probably altered when body of church rebuilt l779-80 in a mixed Perpendicular and Flamboyant style by Thomas Johnson of Warwick. Nave with wide high aisles forming nearly square rectangle. Chancel added 1869-70 in Decorated style by John Gibson. An important feature of the old town approached from Castle Bridge. Interior contains 2 carved wall monuments in porch, 1656. West gallery. Brass of 1424, carved monument of 1734 with putti and cherubim.

Status: Not Working

Display: Mounted

Year built: Not listed

Web link to additional info: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Photo of clock.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Town Clocks
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Alancache visited Saint Nicholas Church Clock - St Nicholas Church Street, Warwick, UK 10/20/2017 Alancache visited it
Superted visited Saint Nicholas Church Clock - St Nicholas Church Street, Warwick, UK 11/20/2013 Superted visited it

View all visits/logs