St Mary's - Newton Regis, Warwickshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 39.851 W 001° 35.329
30U E 595435 N 5835850
Quick Description: Anglican parish church of Saint Mary the Virgin dates from the early 13th-century, with 14th-century tower.
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 7/14/2013 1:59:30 AM
Waymark Code: WMHHX3
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 2

Long Description:
"The parish church of ST. MARY stands at the higher east end of the village street and consists of a chancel, nave, south porch, and west tower with a spire. The lower part of the tower dates from the early 13th century; it was probably an addition to a 12th-century or earlier main body. The chancel was rebuilt (c. 1320), and had a south vestry: the nave was rebuilt soon afterwards (c. 1330–40), and the west tower was remodelled and heightened and the spire erected. Clearstories were raised above the chancel late in the 14th century and above the nave about a century afterwards. The vaulted south porch—an unusual feature—was added probably in the 15th century. The tower was reinforced in the 18th century by adding an extra thickness of 12 in. or more to the west face. The whole edifice was restored internally in 1905 and externally in 1908."

(visit link)
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Alancache visited St Mary's - Newton Regis, Warwickshire 11/21/2013 Alancache visited it