Connecticut Trolley and Fire Museum - East Windsor, CT
Posted by: Groundspeak Charter Member neoc1
N 41° 55.895 W 072° 35.696
18T E 699401 N 4644977
Quick Description: The Connecticut Trolley and Fire Museum is located at 58 North Road (SR 140) in East Windsor, CT.
Location: Connecticut, United States
Date Posted: 7/5/2013 5:28:29 PM
Waymark Code: WMHFKD
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 3

Long Description:
The Connecticut Trolley and Fire Museum is dedicated to preserving and operating vintage cars and equipment of the trolley era. It is owned and operated by the Connecticut Electric Railway Association, Inc. which was founded in October 1940. It is the nation’s oldest incorporated organization dedicated to the preservation trolley and trolley equipment.

An exhibit building features the history of trolley transportation. Antique DC electric trolley cars have been restored and take passengers along a 1.5 mile route through a wooded area parallel to SR 140. Along way the trolley crosses a couple of local streets. At the end of the run seats are reversed and the trolley goes in the reverse direction along the same track back to the museum.


The museum owns over 70 pieces of trolley and railroad apparatus dating back to 1869. On display are historic passenger and freight trolley and railroad cars, interurban cars, elevated railway cars, locomotives, and a variety of service equipment. Popular during the warm summer months are several open air trolley cars, the oldest, car 355, was built in 1902 and used by the Fair Haven and Westfield Railroad. The trolley museum also operates closed trolley cars, especially during the colder months.




The fire museum is at the rear of the property. It is operated by the Connecticut Antique Fire Apparatus Association. The organization website list the following pieces of fire apparatus:

1923 REO pumper, Lost Acres (Granby) Fire Department
1926 American LaFrance pumper, Hartsdale, New York
1927 Mack pumper, Willimantic and West Willington
1928 American LaFrance, Hartford (was at the 1944 circus fire in Hartford)
1929 Ahrens-Fox pumper, Auburn, Maine
1930 Maxim hose wagon, Gilford, Wallingford, Meriden and Torrington
1931 GMC/LaFrance pumper, Bloomfield
1934 Seagrave 85' aerial ladder truck, Springfield, Massachusetts
1936 Mack pumper, West Springfield, Mass. and North Thompsonville
1937 Ahrens-Fox pumper, Stafford Springs
1941 Ford/LaFrance pumper, New Hartford
1943 GMC/Sealand airport crash truck, Pratt & Whitney Aircraft East Hartford plant and Brainard Airport, Hartford
1947 Mack pumper, Hingham, Massachusetts
1948 American-LaFrance 75' aerial ladder truck, East Hartford, and Warehouse Point
1967 Walter airport crash truck, Pratt & Whitney Aircraft, East Hartford
1975 American-LaFrance pumper, Ellington


Summer hours are 10 am to 4:30 pm; noon to 4 pm on Sunday. The museum is closed Tuesdays during the summer. Fall and Spring the museum operates on a weekend schedule - 10 am to 4:40 pm Saturday; noon to 4 pm Sunday.
Price of Admission: 8.00 (listed in local currency)

Weekday Hours: From: 10:00 AM To: 4:30 PM

Weekend Hours: From: 12:00 PM To: 4:30 PM

Roadside Attractions Website: [Web Link]

Location Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
When posting a new log for a waymark, please include a picture if there isn't one included on the original posting. Add your thoughts about the roadside attraction and let everyone know if it is worth while stopping to see.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roadside Attractions
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Alfie and Artie visited Connecticut Trolley and Fire Museum - East Windsor, CT 5/20/2015 Alfie and Artie visited it