By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Essex
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member chrissyml
N 41° 21.146 W 072° 23.362
18T E 718394 N 4581170
Quick Description: A historic sign about Essex, CT.
Location: Connecticut, United States
Date Posted: 6/27/2013 4:50:26 PM
Waymark Code: WMHDN4
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
Views: 6

Long Description:
Originally called Potopaug by local Indians, Essex was named after England's Essex County, whence some of the earthly settlers had come. As a part of Saybrook colony, the Essex area was first settled in 1648 by John Lay, William Pratt, and William Hide. Essex was incorporated in 1852, having been long a part of Saybrook township. The village became involved in West Indies trade in the later 1800's. The first wharf for this trade was built in 1656 on the site of the present Steamboat Dock building; south of the dock a warehouse was erected in 1773. Essex thus became the main port of Saybrook and remained so until 1871. Shipbuilding began in 1733; the Hayden shipyard, among others, became one of the most important in New England. This yard built Connecticut's first warship, the Oliver Cromwell, in 1775. Many other yards made Essex a major ship-building enter where packet ships, the first American transatlantic liners, were launched.
Men from the Essex area became captains and seamen in large numbers and sailed all over the world on voyages lasting many months. During the War of 1812 the British raided Essex in 1814, burning twenty-eight vessels at anchor and under construction before retiring. Since the total loss amounted to $160,000 the newspapers of the time called this raid the worst disaster to befall the new country since the war began, nearly two years earlier. The steamboat era opened in 1823 with small boats running between Hartford and Saybrook, later with larger vessels between Hartford and New York. The Steamboat Dock building, the third landing place since 1656 that has been in use at the site, was built in 1878. Centerbrook and Ivoryton became part of Essex in 1859. The meetinghouse of the Second Ecclesiastical Society (1722) still stands in Centerbrook, and ivory piano keys, a long-time product of Ivoryton, continue to be made today.
Marker Name: Essex

Marker Type: Roadside

Additional Information:
Erected by the Town of Essex The Essex Historical Society and the Connecticut Historical Committee


Date Dedicated / Placed: 1983

Visit Instructions:
Visits require a photo of the marker or some location referenced in the text. Please also provide what you've learned about this piece of Connecticut history. Inform us.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Connecticut Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.