St Mary's Wymeswold
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 52° 48.330 W 001° 06.397
30U E 627629 N 5852314
Quick Description: Fourteenth century church of St Mary, Wymeswold
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 6/1/2013 1:49:41 PM
Waymark Code: WMH6XB
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Jyrki&Sari
Views: 3

Long Description:
St Mary's church was restored in 1844 by A. W. N. Pugin. It contains the Leeke memorial to Judge William Leeke who was Lord of the Manor of Wymeswold in the mid-17th century. His widow presented the church with a silver flagon and paten that are now in the Charnwood museum. The remarkable windows were the work of John Hardman Studios, Birmingham [ (visit link) ]. The churchyard contains one of the best collections of Swithland slate headstones to be seen. The village was a centre of Swithland slate carving and home to the fine slate craftsmen, William Charles, the Winfields and Roworth.

Henry Alford was the Vicar of Wymeswold from 1835 to 1853 and wrote many of his hymns here.
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.