By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Saint Anselm Church of the Word of God Parish - Pittsburgh (Swissvale), Pennsylvania
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member outdoorboy34
N 40° 25.401 W 079° 53.369
17T E 594206 N 4475338
Quick Description: The Saint Anselm Site of the Word of God Parish is located at 7446 McClure Avenue in Swissvale Borough, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 3/30/2013 9:58:50 AM
Waymark Code: WMGQ26
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 4

Long Description:




Church Information:Excerpted from the Diocese of Pittsburgh Website
St. Anselm was established in 1903. The parish was formed in response to the increase in population caused by the rise of industry in the area. As mines and industrial plants opened up, they attracted workers. By 1903, the bishop created the parish for Swissvale. The first Mass of the new parish was celebrated in a private home on September 13, 1903. Two weeks later the pastor purchased a house to serve as a combined temporary church and rectory. However, as the house was too small to accommodate the entire congregation, the parish began to take steps to build a church. The church was completed in October of 1904.

As the population of the area continued to grow, the congregation soon outgrew the church. In a meeting held on November 17, 1923, the congregation agreed to the building of a new church. Work on the new church began shortly afterwards. The cornerstone of the church was laid on May 4, 1924, and the completed church was dedicated on July 19, 1925. The new church was built in the Italian Romanesque style in buff and brown brick with limestone trimming. The old church was sold and torn down.

The interior of the church was extensively renovated in the 1970's. A new altar was installed, the communion rails removed and a new pulpit erected.

As the growth of industry at the end of the nineteenth century led to the creation of the parish, the loss of industry at the end of the twentieth century led to its suppression. By the 1990's Swissvale could no longer support the number of independent parishes in existence.


Parish History: Excerpted from the Diocese of Pittsburgh Website
Word of God parish was established on May 28, 1994, as part of the diocese's reorganization and revitalization program. The parish was formed by merging the parishes of St. Anselm and St. Barnabas in Swissvale and Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Rankin. All three churches remain open and continue to serve the new parish.

Mass Times
Sunday: 7:30, 9:30a, 12:00 noon
Saturday (Anticipation): 6:30p
Monday - Friday: 7:00a, 12 Noon
Holy Days: Vigil - 6:30p; Holy Day - 7:00a, 12 Noon

Reconciliation
Saturday: 11a - First, Third, and Fifth Saturdays
Type of Church: Chapel

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of organization: 9/13/1903

Date of building construction: 7/19/1925

Dominant Architectural Style: Italian Romanesque

Archdiocese: Philadelphia

Diocese: Pittsburgh

Address/Location:
7446 McClure Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA United States
15218


Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.