Alte lutherische Kirche am Kolk — Wuppertal-Elberfeld, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member prussel
N 51° 15.456 E 007° 08.918
32U E 370815 N 5680099
Quick Description: The Alte lutherische Kirche am Kolk (old Lutheran church) is the second oldest church in Wuppertal
Location: Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Date Posted: 3/22/2013 4:36:45 PM
Waymark Code: WMGN07
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 4

Long Description:

Die Christen lutherischen Bekenntnisses in Elberfeld erhielten im Jahre 1726 das Recht zur öffentlichen Religionsausübung, 1747 wurde ihnen vom Landesherrn Kurfürst Karl Theodor der Bau einer Kirche mit Turm und Glocken gestattet. Die Kirche wurde 1749–1752 an der Stelle des alten Kirchhauses erbaut.
Die schlichte barocke Saalkirche aus Sandsteinmauerwerk folgt dem Vorbild der nur wenige hundert Meter entfernten Alten reformierten Kirche. Ein Saalbau mit Satteldach einem östlich angebauten quadratischen Turm mit barocker Zwiebelhaube (aus dem Jahre 1774) und Laterne. Je fünf Rundbogenfenster befinden sich an den Längsseiten, zwei an der Ostfassade. Das Gebäude ist auf der Altarseite mit einem angrenzenden Wohn- und Geschäftshaus verbunden und hier fensterlos. Die Kirche wurde mehrfach zerstört und wieder aufgebaut, so nach dem Zweiten Weltkrieg, zuletzt nach einem verheerenden Brand im Jahr 1974.
Das Gebäude gehört zur ältesten Bebauung Elberfelds und ist neben seiner Bedeutung für die Kirchengeschichte ein wichtiges Zeugnis für die Baukunst. Die Kirche ist seit 1984 unter der Denkmalnummer 33 in der Wuppertaler Denkmalliste verzeichnet.

The Christians of the Lutheran Confession in Elberfeld received in the year 1726 the right to public worship, in 1747 the sovereign Elector Karl Theodor allowed to build a church with a tower and bells. The Lutheran Church was built in 1749-1752 at the site of the old church building.
The simple Baroque hall church of sandstone masonry follows the lines of a few hundred meters away Old Reformed Church. A hall with saddle roof with a square tower at the east with a baroque onion dome (from 1774) and lantern. Five arched windows are located on the sides, two on the east façade. The building is connected on the side of the altar with an adjacent residential and commercial building and therefore here windowless. The church was destroyed and rebuilt several times, so after World War II, most recently after a devastating fire in 1974.
The building belongs to the oldest building of Elberfeld and is, in addition to its importance for the history for the Church Community, an important witness of the architecture. The church is listed under the monument number 33 in monument register of Wuppertal since 1984.

Quelle / source: Evangelische Kirchengemeinde Elberfeld-Nord, wikipedia

Style: Baroque

Type of building (structure): Large religious building (church, monastery, synagogue...)

Date of origin:: 1749–1752

Web site of the object (if exists): [Web Link]

Address:
Platz am Kolk (Morianstraße 20) D 42103 Wuppertal Germany


Architect(s): Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photo of the structure. You or your GPS can be in the picture, but it’s not a requirement.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Baroque Architecture
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Eibacher Kuckuck visited Alte lutherische Kirche am Kolk — Wuppertal-Elberfeld, Germany 6/24/2014 Eibacher Kuckuck visited it