Swine Pavilion - State Fairgrounds - Sedalia, Mo.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 38° 41.557 W 093° 15.800
15S E 477099 N 4282699
The Swine Pavilion Sign is to the right of the east entrance as one goes in. The pavilion is a two story red brick pavilion constructed in 1922. This is also the largest show area for the State Fair.
Waymark Code: WMG23X
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 01/03/2013
Published By:Groundspeak Regular Member GEO*Trailblazer 1
Views: 3

This is a wooden sign with a small asphalt roof. The sign is yellow with black type. The text reads:

The Swine Pavilion originally housed swine and sheep. The building has a flat, three-tiered roof and square, hipped roofed towers on the northeast and southeast corners. The building lacks symmetry; the west wing was not completed as planned because the money appropriated was inadequate.

In the 1960s, a metal building supported by tapered posts was built on the west to provide more space for animals.

In 2001, the building's interior was renovated and its exterior restored.

Two large fans were installed in 2011 and funded through donations to the Missouri State Fair Foundation. The blades on these fans expand 24 feet and help circulate air in the open-side pavilion.

Architects: Thomas Bast Contractor: Dean & Hancock

From the National Register application:
(visit link)

"Swine Pavilion/Swine & Sheep Pavilion. Built 1922. Contributing

The Swine Pavilion is an arcaded, steel-frame brick building with a flat, three-tiered roof and Missionesque parapets above projecting entranceways. Square towers with pyramidal roofs are in the northeast and southeast corners of the 276' x 284' building. Atop the uppermost flat level is a cross-hipped structure designed for additional ventilation. The 51st General Assembly appropriated $125,000 for a 276' x 384' building, but completion of the west side was deferred when the appropriation proved inadequate. The west portion, designed to be about as elaborate as the east, was never completed. But in ca. 1960, a metal building supported by tapering steel posts was added on the west. Inside the brick building, the steel pens appear to be those from the original installation in 1922. Architect: Bast. Contractor: Dean & Hancock."
Web link: [Web Link]

History of Mark: Not listed

Additional point: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
A clear picture of the Marker or Plaque taken by you.
Also would appreciate you input on the text and location.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Missouri Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.