By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Ruine Schalberg - Pfeffingen, BL, Switzerland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
N 47° 27.882 E 007° 34.085
32T E 392085 N 5257800
Quick Description: A castle ruin on a ridge west of Pfeffingen.
Location: Basel Landschaft, Switzerland
Date Posted: 8/23/2012 1:19:11 AM
Waymark Code: WMF4R2
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Blue Man
Views: 5

Long Description:
EN: The ruin Schalberg is located on a ridge west of Pfeffingen. The two-part site is about 100 meters long, parts of the exterior wall and the round tower have been preserved relatively well, but of many outbuildings little is known.

Castle Schalberg was built in the late 13th century by the family Schaler, as well as the two adjacent older castles Frohberg and Engenstein. The branch of the family that resided on Schalberg was called "von Schalberg". In the early 14th century they handed the castle to the Bishop of Basel and received it back as a fief. In the earthquake of 1356 the castle was damaged and then repaired, but left shortly after 1400. With the extinction of the family in 1437 the castle went over to the Count of Thierstein, but he was only interested in the related jurisdinction and taxation rights. In 1452 the abandoned castle was mentioned for the last time.

In 1975 the ruins were partially preserved, a detailed examination has still to come.

DE: Die Ruine Schalberg befindet sich auf einem Bergrücken westlich von Pfeffingen. Die zweiteilige Anlage ist gut 100 Meter lang, ein Teil der Aussenmauer und des Rundturmes sind noch relativ gut erhalten, aber von vielen Nebengebäuden ist wenig bekannt.

Burg Schalberg wurde im späten 13. Jahrhundert von der Familie Schaler erbaut, wie auch die beideb benachbarten älteren Burgen Frohberg und Engenstein. Der auf Schalberg wohnende Zweig der Familie nannte sich "von Schalberg". Anfangs des 14. Jahrhunderts übergaben sie die Burg dem Bischof von Basel und erhielten sie als Lehen zurück. Im Erdbeben von 1356 wurde die Burg beschädigt und danach repariert, aber kurz nach 1400 verlassen. Mit dem Aussterben der Familie ging die Burg 1437 an den Grafen von Thierstein, der aber nur an den zugehörigen Gerichtsbarkeits- und Steuerrechten interessiert war. Im Jahre 1452 wurde die verlassene Burg letztmalig erwähnt.

1975 wurde die Ruine teilweise konserviert, eine detaillierte Untersuchung wurde aber noch nicht vorgenommen.
Accessibility: Full access

Condition: Completely ruined

Admission Charge?: no

Website: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Castles
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.