1915 - Lord Kitchener School - Winnipeg MB
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member PeterNoG
N 49° 56.799 W 097° 05.164
14U E 637313 N 5534454
This Dated Building is at 1490 Henderson Highway just south of Chief Peguis trail in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
Waymark Code: WMF3DF
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Date Posted: 08/16/2012
Published By:Groundspeak Regular Member Team Sieni
Views: 1

This was built as Lord Kitchener School in 1915. It is now John Pritchard School.

~ some excerpts from the school history (visit link) ~

The first school in this area could have been operating as early as 1817 by John Pritchard, a Hudson Bay Company employee who was very likely the first settler in this municipality. It was located in the Pritchard home on the east bank of the Red River on or near this site.
Lord Kitchener School, was built at an initial cost of $75,000. It contained five classrooms but when it opened its doors on September 1, 1915 it has only one class of forty pupils in grades I to IV, under the instruction of Miss Daisy Jackson who also served as principal.
In 1967, a large addition was built to Lord Kitchener School, including a two-storey wing of classrooms, a large gymnasium/auditorium and Audio-Visual room. About this time the School Board changed the name of the school to John Pritchard School since the school was put up on land that had originally belonged to John Pritchard, the man who started the education system in Kildonan.
Year of construction: 1915

Full inscription:

Cross-listed waymark: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

When logging a visit to a waymark in this category, please provide one or more photos taken by yourself, and note down your impressions and any background information you may have.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Buildings and Cornerstones
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
PeterNoG visited 1915 - Lord Kitchener School - Winnipeg MB 08/10/2012 PeterNoG visited it