By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

'The Pepperpot', Tower of Old St.Peter & St,Paul, Upton-upon-Severn, Worcestershire.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member greysman
N 52° 03.866 W 002° 13.078
30U E 553609 N 5768493
Quick Description: The tower is all that remains of the Old Parish Church of Upton-upon-Severn.
Location: West Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 4/20/2012 1:48:13 PM
Waymark Code: WME907
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member BarbershopDru
Views: 1

Long Description:
The Old Church of St Peter and St Paul was built in the Early English style and the tower base is most probably C13th with the main body C14th. It is quite likely built on the site of an earlier wooden structure of Saxon origin. It is the oldest surviving structure in the town and dominates the main approach road over the Severn and some refer to it as the 'Pepperpot'. It is built of stone in three stages, buttressed diagonally on the west face. There are single, long two-light bell openings on each face, of Y-tracery with quatrefoil head in a chamfered surround. The tower arch is continuously chamfered and opens onto the garden which is at a higher level. Above the arch is the outline of the old nave roof. The former spire was replaced in 1769 by a fine octagonal timber cupola with lead roof (later sheathed in copper) and lantern. The tower is capped with a stone cornice and corner urns. The cupola drum has keyed bulls-eye panels and a modillio-cornice. The design of Midland architect Anthony Keck.

The medieval church was dedicated to St Peter and St Paul and had a spire and two chancels, one for the parson and one for the parishioners. During the Battle of Upton, 29 August 1651, in the English Civil War it suffered considerable damage when it was held by Commonwealth troops against the Royalists. The defeat of the Royalists and the consequent loss of the important river crossing put Charles II at a serious strategic disadvantage, and he was to be defeated shortly afterwards at the Battle of Worcester.

After that the church continued to deteriorate but it was not until 1754 that a new nave in the then currently fashionable classical style was built. The new building was simple, with roundheaded windows with semicircular openings above, a tiled roof behind a tall parapet and a small projecting chancel with a Venetian east window.

By the nineteenth century the church had become too small and a Neo-Gothic replacement was built at the end of Old Street and completed in 1879. The nave of the old church was eventually dismantled in 1937 and the churchyard was laid out as a garden. In 1953 the church was declared an Ancient Monument and is Grade II* listed.

At the base of the tower is The Heritage Centre, situated within a new extension and the ground floor. It is run by the Tourist Information Centre, and staffed by volunteers. It was refurbished and re-opened on 30th March 2010, the displays providing a history of Upton upon Severn. There are display panels, a time-line and audio-visual displays, plus a desk for young children all offering a bright and cheerful view of the town.

The Centre is open during the Spring and Summer from 10.30am to 4.30pm, dependent upon enough volunteers being available to man it.
Type: Remnant

Fee: No.

Hours:
Spring and Summer from 10.30am to 4.30pm, dependent upon enough volunteers being available to man it.


Related URL: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Original photographs showing additional views of the Ruin/Remnant or even just its current condition are encouraged. Please describe your visit, especially if no additional photos are available. Did you like the Ruin or Remnant? What prompted you to see the Ruin or Remnant?
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Preserved Architectural Remnants and Ruins
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
The_Senior_Crabbes visited 'The Pepperpot', Tower of Old St.Peter & St,Paul, Upton-upon-Severn, Worcestershire. 7/13/2017 The_Senior_Crabbes visited it