Baltimore Shot Tower
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Mountain_Wanderer
N 39° 17.486 W 076° 36.260
18S E 361646 N 4350344
Quick Description: The only remaining tower of 3 that once graced the Baltimore skyline.
Location: Maryland, United States
Date Posted: 6/4/2006 7:15:53 PM
Waymark Code: WME8C
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Crystal Sound
Views: 109

Long Description:
The Shot Tower was a lead shot manufacturing facility in operation from 1828 to 1892. Molten lead was dropped from a platform at the top of the tower through a sieve-like device and into a vat of cold water. When hardened, dried and polished, the shot was sorted into 25-pound bags, producing a total of 1,000,000 bags of shot a year--a number that could be doubled if necessary.
Known originally as the Phoenix Shot, then the Merchants' Shot Tower and now the old Baltimore Shot Tower, the red brick tower was erected in 1828. Charles Carroll of Carrollton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, laid its cornerstone. Over 234 feet high, the Shot Tower was the tallest structure in the United States until the Washington Monument in Washington, DC was completed after the Civil War. This type of building was rare even during the 19th century and today only eleven shot towers remain in existence. Of these four, the Shot Tower is the most outstanding example. This National Historic Landmark is also an excellent example of the simple elegance that can be achieved in the design of industrial architecture.
From: 01/01/1828

To: 01/01/1892

Historical Purpose: ?

Open to the public: No

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Shot Towers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point