Langthorne Hospital Blue Plaque
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Batloaf
N 51° 33.300 E 000° 00.197
31U E 292261 N 5715802
Langthorne Hospital is a Grade II Listed Building. Erected in 1840 as the West Ham Union Workhouse.
Waymark Code: WMDK8V
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 01/24/2012
Published By:Groundspeak Charter Member Marky
Views: 10

The hospital derives its name from the Stratford-Langthorne Abbey, founded in 1135 and which owned 1500 acres of local farmland. It was on some of this land that the West Ham Union Workhouse was built in 1840 to provide "relief to the poor".
It housed up to 1000 inmates from the surrounding areas of Walthamstow, Leyton, Stratford and West Ham.

The Leyton workhouse opened in 1842.
The 3-storey,T-shaped main block had lower wings to the rear, thus creating two courtyards for the male and female inmates.
The ground floor of the building contained offices, a surgery and wards for infirm inmates.
On the first floor were quarters for the Master and the Matron, and dormitories for the inmates.
Lying-in wards were on the second floor.
The rear wing contained a dining-room and storerooms, with a kitchen in the basement.

In 1930 control of the workhouse passed to the West Ham Borough Council, which renamed it the Central Home Public Assistance Institution - a home for the chronically ill, aged and infirm.

The Home joined the NHS in 1948 under the control of the Leytonstone Hospital Group Hospital Management Committee, part of the
North East Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board.

It was renamed the Langthorne Hospital, specialising in geriatric care.

Following a major reorganisation of the NHS in 1974, the Hospital came under the control of the West Roding District Health Authority,
part of the North East Thames Regional Health Authority.

In 1982, after another NHS reorganisation, it came under the jurisdiction of the Waltham Forest District Health Authority.
It finally closed in 1999.

By the late 1980s, the site was declared surplus to requirements.
The main original workhouse building was acquired by the Waltham Forest Housing Action Trust and has been converted into residential accommodation with the rest of the site acquired by Waltham Forest Council in 1996 for the Langthorne Park development.

Langthorne Park opened on 17th June 2000. The park features a pavilion base for local community use, linked to safe children's play areas; a multi-sports area; an outdoor gym and sports training area; an ecology area; a quiet garden area; and other landscaped areas suitable for picnics or general relaxation.

The park features a number of specially commissioned art features enhancing both the physical environment of the park as well as providing visual representations of the site's long history.

Look out for Robert Koenig's unusual oak totem figures.
Tom Norris's wooden seating area made of old railway sleepers to reflect the heritage of Leytonstone.
Dee Honeybun's wonderful carved clay panels and Stewart Hale's mosaic sign and mosaic trail.
Blue Plaque managing agency: Waltham Forest Heritage

Physical Address:
Union Close
London, Ebgland
E11 1NP

Individual Recognized: Not listed

Web Address: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log an entry for a "Blue Plaque," please try to include a picture of you next to the plaque!
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Blue Plaques
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
OrientGeo visited Langthorne Hospital Blue Plaque 03/22/2021 OrientGeo visited it
Master Mariner visited Langthorne Hospital Blue Plaque 04/06/2012 Master Mariner visited it

View all visits/logs