Quaker Burial Ground - Farmington, MI
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member scrapcat
N 42° 27.840 W 083° 23.164
17T E 303828 N 4704054
Quick Description: Located in a quiet suburb, the Quaker Burial Ground is the third of five historic cemeteries in the Farmington area. On land donated by Arthur Power, Farmington's Founder, the first interments were family members, victims of the cholera epidemic.
Location: Michigan, United States
Date Posted: 11/18/2011 8:04:03 PM
Waymark Code: WMD4R4
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member Max Cacher
Views: 7

Long Description:
According to the historical marker:

"In 1832, Arthur Power, founder of Farmington, donated this parcel of land for a cemetery and Friends Meeting House. The Friends referred to their burial ground as "God's Acre." The first persons buried here were Selinda and Phebe Minerva Power, daughter-in-law and granddaughter of Arthur Power, both victims of the cholera epidemic of 1832. Arthur Power, who died August 5, 1836, also rests here along with his five sons and two daughters. The original one-room Meeting House is now entirely enclosed within the present building which stands on adjacent property."

In addition to Arthur Power, the other notable in this cemetery is John Power (Jan 5, 1844 to Mar 6, 1924) "with Farragut in Mobile Bay".

Quaker Burial Ground
Farmington, MI USA
Approximately 100 graves

(visit link)
City, Town, or Parish / State / Country: Not listed

Approximate number of graves: Not listed

Cemetery Status: Not listed

Cemetery Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:


Post a Picture of the Cemetery into this Waymark gallery
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Worldwide Cemeteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.