Coatesville Historic District Town Clock - Coatesville, PA
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Math Teacher
N 39° 59.017 W 075° 49.269
18S E 429889 N 4426261
Quick Description: Overlooking the Lincoln Highway, at the center of town and this historic district is a beautiful clock located at the top of a former bank, and a current apartment complex, NRHP site. The clock and structure both contribute to the historic district.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 11/2/2011 7:44:41 PM
Waymark Code: WMD0NC
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 2

Long Description:

This round-faced clock is mounted on a mini tower high above the left side of this building. Formerly called The National Bank of Coatesville, this building has been converted into the Clock Tower apartments. The clock is a landmark for this small but historic Lincoln Highway town. The clock is mounted on a four sided tower. There are four total clock, one for each side. The clock has Roman numerals and is gilded, The clock is set into the most ornate and ostentatious-looking building completely surrounded by frieze work, dentils, arches and decorative bricks. The clock is approximately fifty feet off of the ground. The building is located at 235 East Lincoln Highway.

The City of Coatesville has provided some beautiful narratives and pictures for its NRHP sites and two historic district. The narrative for this site reads:

In 1889 a group of men rallied together for the purpose of organizing a new community bank and after receiving their charter, the National Bank of Coatesville opened for business on March 13, 1889 at 204 East Lincoln Highway. By 1907, the National Bank of Coatesville had grown so significantly that a larger building was constructed and completed in 1909.

This brick and limestone, four story, three bay building was of eclectic architecture. One of its most interesting features was the clock tower which over the years faithfully informed thousands of people of the time. In 1920, care of the clock was placed in the hands of Charles Trunk, a local jeweler. His son, Calvin, eventually assumed his responsibilities. The Trunks wound the clock daily with a crank until it was converted to electricity in 1946. Some interesting features of this building are the Greek Key, the Garlands of Fruit and the Lions Heads. Watson and Huckel were the architects and the building is listed on the National Register of Historical Places. SOURCE

Status: Working

Display: Mounted

Year built: 1/1/1908

Web link to additional info: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Photo of clock.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Town Clocks
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.