Gargoyles, Holy Trinity Church, Church Charwelton, Northants
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member greysman
N 52° 11.720 W 001° 12.267
30U E 622723 N 5784283
Quick Description: Three well worn gargoyles on the north side of the north aisle of this isolated village church.
Location: East Midlands, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 7/14/2011 2:39:22 PM
Waymark Code: WMC1H9
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Revbigjohn
Views: 1

Long Description:
Holy Trinity Church, Church Charwelton, was built in the C14th and C15th and had its chancel rebuilt in the C17th and C18th. The church was restored, and the chancel was again rebuilt and extended one bay east in 1901-1904, by G. Christopher Carter. It is of ironstone ashlar and coursed ironstone rubble. It has the typical chancel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, and west tower but with a north chancel chapel added which is now used a a vestry

The church was once at the centre of a thiving village but after the enclosure act sheep started to be run around here, up to 1500 by the Andrewes family, and the village moved away to the present site on the A361, Daventry to Banbury main road. All that is left is the church and Church Farm with some outbuildings next door.

The gargoyles, three of them, are to be found on the north side of the church built into the north aisle parapet, one above the north door, then going east, above the space between the first and second bays, and the last almost at the corner of the north chapel/vestry. This last one is the best preserved of the three, all of which represent mythical beasts.
Water spout is used: yes

Condition: Deeply Weathered

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Gargoyles and Chimeras
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.