Municipal Bandshell, Huron, South Dakota
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member NGComets
N 44° 21.526 W 098° 12.883
14T E 562578 N 4912021
Quick Description: Located in Campbell Park, Huron, South Dakota, just south of the city Library.
Location: South Dakota, United States
Date Posted: 5/20/2011 9:16:04 PM
Waymark Code: WMBGVD
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member monkeys4ever
Views: 4

Long Description:
This bandshell is located in Campbell Park on South Dakota Aveue and on 7th Street SW. Also located on the grounds is the Huron Public Library.

The bandshell was constructed in 1939-1940 and was sponsored by the Cooperative Club of Huron.

During the summer, entertainment is held at the bandshell, usually on Thursday evening. Local talents perform at the enjoyment of the public. The entertainment is free and many people spend the evening listening to various singers and instrumentalists.

Huron is a city in Beadle County, South Dakota, United States. The population was 12,592 at the 2010 census. It is the county seat of Beadle County.

Huron was the home of now-defunct Huron University (known in its later years as Si Tanka University) since 1897. Huron is also the home of the South Dakota State Fair.

The Huron Plainsman, also referred to as the Plainsman, is the newspaper. The city was named after the Huron Indians. It is currently the ninth largest city in the state of South Dakota, but it used to be the fourth.

Huron, located in east central South Dakota, is a result of railroad and land booms in the 1880s. The early history of the town is closely linked with the Chicago and Northwestern Railway. At the direction of Marvin Hughitt, General Manager of the Railroad, the west bank of the James River was selected as the division headquarters of the railroad. The company gained title to 880 acres of land at that location. Huron was named for the Huron Indians. Exactly who gave it the name was never established, apparently either Marvin Hughitt or someone in the Chicago office of the C&NW railroad company.

The original plat covered 11 blocks from 1st Street to 3rd Street and from Iowa Avenue SE to Ohio Avenue SW. Huron’s first settler was John Cain, a practical printer from Troy, New York. He learned in Chicago, from the railroad people, that they would have their chief town and operating headquarters at their James River crossing.

From 1880 until the capital was permanently located at Pierre in 1904, Huron was in the thick of the fight for the honor of being the capital city. Campbell and Winter Parks are the only remaining properties that were once designated capital grounds. Located between the two parks, Victorian houses originally built around 1906 occupy the city block on the land originally slated for the capitol building.

The site of the South Dakota State Fair is in Huron. Huron is the home to a handful of celebrities. Cheryl Ladd is one of the original "Charlie's Angels". Gladys Pyle was the first female member of the House of Representatives and the first Republican woman in the US Senate. Hubert H. Humphrey was the Democratic nominee for President in 1968 and served as Vice President under Lyndon B. Johnson.
Check here if the structure has a roof (required for posting): yes

Check here if the structure is enclosed or mostly enclosed on three sides (required for posting): yes

Bandshell Webpage: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:

When visiting a waymark, please take pictures that clearly show the bandshell. If you have pictures with yourself in the bandshell, that would be great too. Also, tell us a little about your visit. It's optional, but if you attended a performance here, tell us about it.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Bandshells
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.