Lumley Chapel, Cheam Village, Surrey UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member AngelPick
N 51° 21.635 W 000° 12.963
30U E 693813 N 5693603
Quick Description: A 10th century chapel in the grounds of a St Dunstans Church.
Location: London, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 5/1/2011 10:45:38 AM
Waymark Code: WMBBKY
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 2

Long Description:
Lumley Chapel is a redundant Anglican church in the suburban village of Cheam, in the London Borough of Sutton, England. It has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building, and is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. The chapel is located in the churchyard of St Dunstan's Church in Church Road, off Malden Road, the A2043.
The Archbishop of Canterbury acquired the manor of Cheam in 1018, and it is thought that the church was founded soon after this date. A south aisle was added to the church in the 12th century. In 1580 John Lumley, 1st Baron Lumley inherited the nearby Nonsuch Palace through his marriage to Jane Fitzalan, daughter of Henry FitzAlan, 19th Earl of Arundel. During the 1590s Lumley converted the church into a memorial chapel for himself and his two wives. In the early 18th century the church consisted of a chancel with a south chapel, a nave with a south aisle, and a west tower. Later in the century, possibly in 1746, the south aisle and the south wall of the nave were demolished and replaced by a wider nave. At the same time a north aisle and a south porch were added. In 1864 a new church, also dedicated to St Dunstan, was built to the north. The older church was demolished, other than the east end of the chancel which was retained to contain the monuments and brasses from the old church. This remnant of the former church was declared redundant on 16 June 2002, and was vested in the Churches Conservation Trust on 1 August 2002.
The chapel is the oldest standing building in the London Borough of Sutton. It is constructed in partly roughcastrubble stone and brick. It has a tiled roof. The east window dates from the 15th century and has three lights. In the south wall is the blocked arcade that formerly led into the south chapel. In the north wall are fragments of a blocked window from the Saxon or the early Norman era. Inside the church the walls are plastered. Along the top of the north and south walls is a frieze decorated with fruit and foliage. Over this is a cornice, rising from which is a plastered barrel vault decorated with ribs and pendants.
Inside the chapel are alabaster and marble monuments to John Lumley and his two wives, Jane Fitzalan and Elizabeth Darcy. Jane Fitzalan died in 1577; her tomb is decorated with family coats of arms and depictions of Jane's three children at prayer in the chapel of Nonsuch Palace. John Lumley died in 1609; his tomb is also decorated with heraldry. Elizabeth Darcy died in 1617. Her recumbent effigy lies on the tomb. Other memorials include those to the Pybus family of Cheam House, and the Antrobus family of Lower Cheam House. On the south wall is a tablet to Ann, the five year old daughter of Rev William Gilpin, headmaster of Cheam School. The brasses are dated between 1450 and 1632.
The currently active parish church of St Dunstan is situated to the north of the chapel, and is also designated as a Grade II* listed building. The lychgate, dated 1891, at the entrance to the churchyard, is listed Grade II. In the churchyard are three tombs, each of which is Grade II listed.
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Master Mariner visited Lumley Chapel, Cheam Village, Surrey UK 4/13/2015 Master Mariner visited it