Groveport United Methodist Church - Groveport, OH
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
N 39° 51.128 W 082° 53.172
17S E 338642 N 4413047
Quick Description: A lovely stained glass window depicting Mary holding the baby Jesus is located on the front of the Groveport United Methodist Church in Groveport, Ohio, USA.
Location: Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 3/19/2011 6:27:58 AM
Waymark Code: WMB093
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member wildwoodke
Views: 2

Long Description:
Unfortunately, the church was closed so we weren't able to go inside to take a photo of the beautiful stained glass window, but we did find an interior photo of it on the internet (visit link):

ABOUT THE CHURCH:

"The first Methodists in this area worshiped God in their cabin homes or barns. By 1836, those living in what is now Groveport decided to form a congregation.

The first church was a one-story brick building built in Rarey's Port at the corner of Main Street and College Street. The land was donated by William H. Rarey, the brother of John Rarey, the horse trainer. It was established as the Wesley Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church and continued under that name until December 1955 when it was incorporated as the Groveport Methodist Church. This brick church soon became inadequate and was torn down.

A committee appointed March 1, 1851, reported in May to the Quarterly Conference that for $5,000 a new church, 50’ x 70’ with basement and belfry could be built. This building was erected on the same site as the first church with hand-made brick on a lot just west of the church building. Financial difficulties were such that the building was not fully competed and dedicated until 1864.

A committee was appointed April 10, 1906, to examine the floor and walls in the auditorium of the second church building. At a special Trustees meeting on April 24, 1906, the committee reported that their examination considered the walls unsafe and that the state building inspector who had been called confirmed their view. His inspection resulted in order #14 closing the church against all public meetings. The church was closed May 1, 1906, and all church functions were held at the Presbyterian and Baptist Churches or later at the Town Hall.

Bids for the third building were opened March 4, 1907, and the contract was awarded to a local contractor, Charles D. “Scott” Rarey at a bid of $25,000. Work was started immediately and in the inner structure of the new church Mr. Rarey made use of timbers and bricks that could be salvaged from the old building.

The outside of the church is entirely of new cranberry corduroy brick from the Groveport Brick Plant and the mortar was colored to match the brick. Gottlieb Dorrer did the stonework, and Thomas Redman completed the slate roof. The bell cast in England, and presented by John S. Rarey for use in the second building, was placed in the new church tower. The cornerstone was laid June 10, 1907, and the new church was formally dedicated at the evening service April 12, 1908. The building Committee reported that the total cost of the church, including all furnishings was $16,416.31.

In October 1955, the need was seen and a campaign was started for the raising of funds to build an education building. Groveport Village Council adopted a resolution vacating 10 feet on the south side of Hickory Alley between Church and College Streets in order to prove enough ground space for the construction of the two-story brick building. The contract was awarded February 28, 1958, to Harry Miller, Inc., Groveport, Ohio, for $55,0000. The cornerstone was laid April 13, 1958, on the same day the church observed the 50th Anniversary of the dedication of the present church. The education building was completed and furnished at a cost of $61,720 and the consecration service was conducted September 22, 1958.

Many additions and improvements have been made over the years to the physical building that makes up the Groveport United Methodist Church, but the dedication and commitment of the people in our congregation has never changed."

-- Source

Type of building where window is located: Church

Address:
512 Main Street
Groveport, OH USA
43125


Admission Charge: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Days of Operation: 24/7 from Exterior; Sundays from Interior

Hours of Operation: From: 12:00 AM To: 12:00 AM

Visit Instructions:
Please include additional photos of the window or windows at this location. Provide additional information regarding the window/s if you are able.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stained Glass Windows
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.