Black Catholic Heritage - St. Augustine, FL
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
N 29° 53.205 W 081° 18.906
17R E 469574 N 3306278
Quick Description: An historical marker about Black Catholic Heritage in St. Augustine, Florida, highlights a celebrated Civil Rights case involving three nuns.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 3/18/2011 9:37:16 AM
Waymark Code: WMB01D
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member PTCrazy
Views: 8

Long Description:
An historical marker located at the site of the St. Benedict Moor Catholic Church, Rectory, and School provides the following information:

SIDE 1: "This block of property owned by the Catholic Church contains three historic buildings that embody an important part of African American heritage of St. Augustine. It was part of Yallaha orange grove plantation before the Civil War and was conveyed to the church by the Dumas family in 1890. The first building was constructed in 1898 was the school, originally called St. Cecilia, later St. Benedict. It is the oldest surviving brick schoolhouse in St. Augustine. With a tower and original wraparound porch, it was a landmark of Victorian architecture. It was the gift of Mother Katharine Drexel (1858-1955), a wealthy Philadelphia heiress who founded the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament for Indians and Colored People and established more than 60 parochial schools around the country. On October 1, 2000, Pope John Paul II named Mother Drexel a saint, and two St. Augustinians attended the canonization ceremony at the Vatican. The Sisters of St. Joseph, a teaching order that was brought here in 1866, operated St. Benedict School. They were involved in a celebrated civil rights case when, on Easter Sunday 1916, three of the nuns - Sisters Mary Thomasine Hehir, Mary Scholastica Sullivan,"

SIDE2: "and Mary Beningus Cameron - were arrested for violating a 1913 passed Florida law that made it a criminal offense for whites to teach in a black school. They were released when a judge ruled the law did not apply to private schools. After serving many generations of students (of several religions) from kindergarten through eighth grade, St. Benedict School was closed in 1964 when local Catholic schools were integrated. St. Benedict the Moor Church, on the north end of the property, was begun in 1909 and completed in 1911. It was designed by the Savannah architects Robinson and Reidy, who designed Orange Street School at the same time. The church was named for a Sicilian friar (1526-1589) who was known as The Holy Negro for his charitable work and canonized in 1807. The use of his name here had earlier roots in the St. Benedict Benevolent Society, begun before the Civil War and incorporated in 1872 by St. Augustine's black Catholics. The red brick rectory building between the church and the school was constructed in 1915, and for many years housed the Josephite Fathers out of Baltimore who pastored here. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. visited the rectory in 1964."
Civil Right Type: Race (U.S. Civil Rights movement)

Visit Instructions:
You must have visited the site in person, not online.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Civil Rights Memorials
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Markerman62 visited Black Catholic Heritage - St. Augustine, FL 9/18/2020 Markerman62 visited it
hart612 visited Black Catholic Heritage - St. Augustine, FL 7/17/2019 hart612 visited it

View all visits/logs