By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Lincolnville Historic District - St. Augustine, FL
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
N 29° 53.322 W 081° 18.941
17R E 469519 N 3306494
Quick Description: The Lincolnville Historic District encompasses St. Augustine's most prominent and historic black neighborhood, which is rich with the city's African American history. The posted coords are for the Lincolnville Historic District historical marker.
Location: Florida, United States
Date Posted: 3/18/2011 8:21:48 AM
Waymark Code: WMB00R
Published By: Groundspeak Charter Member BruceS
Views: 4

Long Description:
An historical marker about the Historic District provides the following information:

"Once the site of Indian Villages, colonial plantations and orange groves, Lincolnville began as a settlement of emancipated slaves in 1866. African-Americans, who trace their origins to the City’s 16th century founding, played an integral role in the history of St. Augustine for centuries before the forced segregation of the late 1800s led them to create their own community institutions. Here, they built churches, schools, and a vibrant business center surrounded by residences that displayed the ornate architecture of the age. By 1930, Lincolnville had become a major part of the City, encompassing both the African-American community itself and the adjacent white residential areas that had grown up with it. In 1964, civil rights demonstrations organized in Lincolnville attracted attention and influenced Congressional debated that led to the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Today, the fifty-block Lincolnville neighborhood still contains the Ancient City’s largest concentration of late Victorian Era buildings, most of them private homes. The Lincolnville Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1991."

The Lincolnville Historic District (1870-1930) includes 688 buildings, 548 of historical interest. Wood Vernacular, Mediterranean Revival, and Bungalow architectural styles predominate. All contributing structures were built before 1930. The District grew from a small black settlement founded there after the Civil War. Black builders designed and built many of the buildings.

-- Source

"The Lincolnville Historic District is St. Augustine's most prominent historically black neighborhood and is associated with many significant events in the city's African American history. Founded in 1866 by former slaves, the district remained relatively static until the late 19th century. Segregationist practices that swept the South between 1890 and 1910 spurred the growth of black owned and operated commercial enterprises. Washington Street in the district became the heart of the black business community. In 1877 the "People's Ticket" that included black Republican D.M. Pappy, a leader in the Lincolnville community, swept city elections. By the early 20th century Lincolnville was a major subdivision of St. Augustine with a high level of political participation among its residents. In 1964 St. Augustine became a focal point for the Civil Rights Movement. Neighborhood churches and businesses were the sites of meetings and the bases from which peaceful protest marches began. In the spring of 1964, national attention was focused on St. Augustine as the protest of black and white civil rights activists continued, including the Southern Christian Leadership Conference and Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Today, Lincolnvilles' architectural heritage includes the highest concentration of Victorian-era buildings in St. Augustine. Among these are the Italian Gothic style St. Mary's Missionary Baptist Church (Washington Street) and St. Paul's AME Church (M.L. King Avenue) built in the Gothic Revival style. Both figured prominently in the 1964 protest. Also of note are D.M. Pappy's House on Oneida street and Yallaha Plantation House on Bridge Street. The plantation house, built in 1800, is one of the oldest residences in Florida. Many of these buildings were constructed by black carpenters and builders.

The Lincolnville Historic District encompasses 45 blocks in St. Augustine and is bounded by Cedar, Riviera, Cerra, Washington, and DeSoto Streets."

-- Source

Additional information is available on the internet (visit link) (visit link).

Street address:
Bounded by Cedar, Riberia, Cerro and Washington Sts. and DeSoto Pl., St. Augustine
St. Augustine, FL USA
32084


County / Borough / Parish: St. Johns County

Year listed: 1991

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering

Periods of significance: 1800-1824, 1825-1849, 1850-1874, 1875-1899, 1900-1924, 1925-1949, 1950-1974

Historic function: Commerce/Trade, Domestic, Religion

Current function: Commerce/Trade, Domestic, Religion

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
wildernessmama visited Lincolnville Historic District - St. Augustine, FL 6/25/2018 wildernessmama visited it
BackyardBeekeepers visited Lincolnville Historic District - St. Augustine, FL 6/1/2013 BackyardBeekeepers visited it

View all visits/logs