Little Gransden - Cambridgeshire, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Dragontree
N 52° 10.852 W 000° 08.407
30U E 695520 N 5785011
Quick Description: The village sign of Little Gransden depicts the delightful windmill which stands nearby.
Location: Eastern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 2/6/2011 1:53:35 PM
Waymark Code: WMAP3T
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bill&ben
Views: 5

Long Description:
The mill is Great Gransden Windmill and as it is used on the sign of Little Gransden shows the connection between the two villages. The sign is made of metal and is a cut-out design with the sails and lettering painted white.

There is a small plaque on the sign which reads:

'This sign was made by Barry Keightley, Fotheringhay Forge, and was presented to the Parish Council and villages of Little Gransden by the Gransdens W.I. on 17th September 1983.'

Wikipedia describes the village: visit link

'Little Gransden is a civil parish and village in South Cambridgeshire, England. In 2001 the population was 262 people. It is 11 miles (18 km) from Cambridge, on the border with the district of Huntingdonshire. Little Gransden has two airfields, one of which was used in World War II.

The village's name is derived from 'valley of a man named Granta or Grante'. It was spelled Grantandene in 973 and Grante(s)dene in the 1086 Domesday book.

Woodland was important in the settlement's early history; there was enough to support 60 pigs in 1086. By 1251, a large area of woodland in the south-east of the parish had been split into Hayley Wood and Littlehound Wood (the latter no longer exists, but the shape can still be seen in field boundaries).

Little Gransden village evolved as an offshoot of Great Gransden. The church and manor house of the abbey of Ely face Great Gransden across the low-lying land along Home Dole Brook; the village grew southwards from a street alongside the brook. There were 56 inhabited houses in 1666, but the number had dropped to 38 by 1801. By 1961 there were 84 houses.

Due to its isolated location, there were no inns in the village until 1800, though by the 1840s there were four (the Sun in Church Lane, the Chequers, the Double Chequers at Mill Hill and the Hardwicke Arms). In 1834, the overseer of the poor considered that an excess of beer-houses may have been partly responsible for recent problems. Only the Chequers was left after 1967.

Despite the heaviness of the soil, most of the parish land has been used mainly for arable farming. It was cultivated in three open fields until parliamentary inclosure in 1814. High, flat land in the east of the parish was hard to drain before mechanisation and was usually used for pasture and as the village common. In 1940, after the outbreak of World War II, the area was made into an airfield, called Gransden Lodge Airfield. It was in operational use from 1941 to 1946 but was unoccupied after 1948 and then sold off. Since October 1991 it has been the home of the Cambridge Gliding Centre.'

Sign Date: 9/17/1983

Location: Village Centre

Plaque: yes

Construction Material: Metal

Artist: Barry Keightley

Web Address: [Web Link]

Occasion Commemorated: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit, a photograph of yourself or your GPSr by the village sign is required. Some description of your visit would be welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Pictorial Village Signs
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
tyke visited Little Gransden - Cambridgeshire, UK 12/2/2014 tyke visited it
Norfolk12 visited Little Gransden - Cambridgeshire, UK 8/3/2011 Norfolk12 visited it

View all visits/logs