Yorkshire Penny Bank - Bradford, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member dtrebilc
N 53° 47.864 W 001° 45.408
30U E 581883 N 5961734
Quick Description: An old bank with a fine frieze above the doorway, including 4 heads of people from the early days of the bank.
Location: Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 1/20/2011 9:34:06 AM
Waymark Code: WMAJ9A
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member GT.US
Views: 5

Long Description:
The Yorkshire Penny Bank originally started in 1859 in Halifax, Yorkshire as a Friendly Society called the West Riding Penny Savings Bank. (Yorkshire used to be split into 3 administrative areas called Ridings). After expansion into other parts of Yorkshire it changed its name to the Yorkshire Penny Bank. At the same time it became the first bank to create school banks to encourage saving from an early age.

In 1911 it was deemed that it did not have enough reserves to be fully solvent and was taken over by a consortium of other banks, and became a limited company.

This building was built in 1895, when both the bank and Bradford were probably at their height. The architect was James Ledingham and the frieze over the door has 4 Carved faces:
Colonel Edward Ackroyd (1810-1877) , Halifax worsted manufacturer
Henry Ripley (1813-1882, founder of a dyeworks
Peter Bent, General manager
John Ward, Director from 1873 to 1880

This building is a grade II listed building, was a pub for a while, but currently it is unused.
Address:
40 North Parade Bradford West Yorkshire BD1 3HZ


Artist: Not listed

Web URL to relevant information: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Logging requirements: Please upload your own personal photos of the building and a piece of art (minimum 1).
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Frieze Art
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
B:W:R visited Yorkshire Penny Bank - Bradford, UK 1/22/2013 B:W:R visited it