The King Avenue Bridge - Columbus, OH
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
N 39° 59.443 W 083° 01.403
17S E 327254 N 4428687
Quick Description: The King Avenue Bridge has four signs of history, including two that denotes it as "the first precast-post-tensioned, field spliced, segmented arch bridge with an integral post-tensioned, high performance concrete deck."
Location: Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 1/15/2011 11:52:36 AM
Waymark Code: WMAH2E
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member monkeys4ever
Views: 3

Long Description:
There are a total of four signs of history on the bridge with two different sets of information. There are two signs on each end the bridge, one on each side of the road.

Two of the signs of history read as follows:

The King Avenue Bridge
A Brief History

Around 1863 a steel truss was constructed across the Olentangy River at King Avenue. It was the first roadway to be extended across the Olentangy River.

• Although the great flood of 1913 destroyed or damaged numerous bridges, businesses and houses along the Olentangy and Scioto Rivers, the old steel truss at King Avenue crossing had already been demolished and the construction of the cast-in-place arch had begun. The 1913 flood destroyed the false work for the arches before the arch concrete was poured. Subsequently, a fourth arch span was added to the east end of the bridge. The reinforced concrete arch bridge at King Avenue was one of the first bridges of its kind in the State of Ohio.

• The design for the 1912 bridge was influenced by three primary criteria. The new bridge had to support 50 ton Trolley cars; resist the worst possible flooding and comply with the 1908 master plan proposal, which grew out of the City Beautiful movement and served as a model for many of the bridges near the City Civic Center.

• The 1912 King Avenue Bridge was designed by Wilber Watson and was a four span, earth filled, reinforced concrete, barrel vaulted, elliptical arch. The Contractor was E. Elford and Company.

The other two signs of history read as follows:

The King Avenue Bridge 1999

The King Avenue Bridge, completed November 26, 1999, is the first precast-post-tensioned, field spliced, segmented arch bridge with an integral post-tensioned, high performance concrete deck.

Franklin County Commissioners:
Dorothy S. Teater • Arlene Shoemaker • Dewey R. Stokes

County Engineer: John Circle P.E., P.S.
Chief Deputy Engineer: Dean C. Ringle P.E., P.S.
Deputy Engineer-Bridges: Mark D. Sherman P.E.
Consulting Engineer: Eriksson Engineering Ltd. Inc. in association with HNTB Engineers and Architects
Contractor: C.J. Mahan Construction Co.

Group that erected the marker: Franklin County, Ohio.

URL of a web site with more information about the history mentioned on the sign: [Web Link]

Address of where the marker is located. Approximate if necessary:
Intersection of King Avenue with Olentangy Trail
Columbus, OH USA


Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the marker, preferably including yourself or your GPSr in the photo. A very detailed description of your visit may be substituted for a photo. In any case please provide a description of your visit. A description of only "Visited" or "Saw it while on vacation" by anyone other than the person creating the waymark may be deleted by the waymark owner or the category officers.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Signs of History
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.