York Lodge No. 563 - Columbus, OH
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
Assisted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Biologist Marine
N 39° 59.305 W 083° 00.338
17S E 328764 N 4428398
Quick Description: York Lodge No. 563 is an historic Masonic Lodge located in Columbus, Ohio. It has five large stained glass windows on its front that are all similar in design. It also has a small stained glass window above its entrance with the Masonic emblem.
Location: Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 1/9/2011 1:22:38 PM
Waymark Code: WMAFHJ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member TheBeanTeam
Views: 3
Created From:
 York Lodge No. 563 - Columbus, OH - posted by Biologist Marine

Long Description:
"York Lodge No. 563, is a symbolic lodge subordinate to the Grand Lodge of Ohio, Free and Accepted Masons. It met along with University Lodge No. 631 and Capital City Lodge No. 656, in York Temple, which is a building built in 1915 in Columbus, Ohio. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984 and served as a Masonic Temple. It was sold to a developer in 2003 who later converted it into condominiums."

-- Source

"During the period from 1900 to 1907 there was considerable agitation for a permanent home for the Lodge. On May 6, 1907, the trustees were authorized to purchase the property at the N.W. corner of Smith Place and North High St for a future home for the Lodge, Some time after acquiring this property it was decided that the same was not suited for our use. Various locations for a Temple were considered and finally on May 6, 1914, the Lodge voted to acquire our present location and the Worshipful Master authorized to appoint a building committee and proceed with the construction of a Temple. The following committee was appointed: L.L. Larason, Chas T. Warner, John F. Fergus, J.B. McGaughy and David E. Huston Chairman, The committee secured plans which were approved by the Lodge and ground was broken May 23, 1914. The Corner-stone was laid October 21, 1914, by the Grand Lodge of Ohio, then in session, M.W. Bro Charles J. Pretzman, Grand Master, presiding. Construction proceeded under the direction of the Building Committee and the Temple was completed and furnished in October 1915 The Temple was dedicated with appropriate services by the Grand Lodge on November 4, 1915, MW Bro, Frank H. Marquis, Grand Master, presiding."

-- Source

Type of building where window is located: Private Property

1276 N. High St.
Columbus, OH USA

Admission Charge: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Days of Operation: Available for Viewing from Outside Only - 24/7

Hours of Operation: From: 12:00 AM To: 12:00 AM

Visit Instructions:
Please include additional photos of the window or windows at this location. Provide additional information regarding the window/s if you are able.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Stained Glass Windows
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.