"THE FOUNDING OF AJAX" ~ Ajax
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Jake39
N 43° 51.034 W 079° 01.235
17T E 659097 N 4857180
Quick Description: This new bi-lingual plaque has been relocated to the front entrance of the Municipal Building after major reconstruction and landscaping around the buildings.
Location: Ontario, Canada
Date Posted: 10/30/2010 4:32:52 PM
Waymark Code: WMA19R
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member The Blue Quasar
Views: 7

Long Description:
PLAQUE TEXT:
THE FOUNDING OF AJAX


In 1941, the Government of Canada established a shell-filling plant operated
by Defence Industries Limited on this site. During its peak production,
over 9,000 people from across the country lived and worked at the
operation. The company town consisted of 600 houses and support facilities,
and together with the factory, covered 2,846 acres (1,152 hectares) of land.
The community was named after the British ship HMS Ajax, which, with two
others, defeated the German battleship Admiral Graf Spee at the Battle of the
River Plate in 1939. After the Second World War, Ajax was the site of a
temporary campus for a division of the University of Toronto's Faculty of
Applied Sciences and Engineering, for thousands of returning veterans, until
1948. Under the administration of the Central Mortgage and Housing
Corporation, the community continued to grow and attract new industries.
Ajax was incorporated as a town in 1954.


A Brief History:

The land which comprises the Town of Ajax was originally developed out of a need to construct a shell filling plant in support of the war effort. Defence Industries Limited (D.I.L.) would require nine thousand workers to produce more than forty million rounds of artillery shells throughout the war years. At the time, Ajax was the largest shell filling plant in the British Empire.

With so many new workers in the area, a new post office had to be set up in Ajax since the Pickering Village Post Office could not accommodate the volume. Before the Post Office could be opened, the new area had to be given a name. A contest was held and the name “Ajax” was chosen in honour of the significant British naval battle (Battle of the River Plate) where the HMS Ajax and two sister ships, the Exeter and the Achilles scuttled a German pocket battleship in the Bay of Montevideo. Most of the streets in Ajax are named in honour of the sailors aboard the Ajax.

Occasionally members of the crew of HMS Ajax or their families visit our Town to see the streets named after them. On such occasions a tree planting is done, and a plaque is placed at the foot of the tree. The visitor is presented with a street sign bearing his name.
Quote from: Town of Ajax info

Address or location of plaque: 65 Harwood Avenue Rd. South

Physical location of plaque: Town

"Ontario Plaques" Website for this "Plaque": [Web Link]

A web-site for more details.: [Web Link]

Description of any physical remains at site of "Historical Plaque": The former munition site is now the Town of Ajax Municipal Building

This 'Plaque' describes: A 'Location'

Condition of sign: Brand new as of the fall of 2010

Is this a bilingual sign?: Yes !

What is the second/third language?: <font color=blue>French</font>

Visit Instructions:
A "Visited" only remark, will be deleted.
No Waymark owner "Visits" allowed when setting up the Waymark.
Subsequent visits, at another time with photo are acceptable.
NOTE: All photos must include the 'O.H.P.Plaque' at its location to qualify for a "Visited"
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Ontario Provincial Plaques
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
rebel10 visited "THE FOUNDING  OF  AJAX"  ~  Ajax 12/22/2010 rebel10 visited it