New Orleans Fire Department Museum
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member ClarksJeepn
N 29° 55.615 W 090° 04.979
15R E 781606 N 3314266
Quick Description: The New Orleans Fire Department has a nationally recognized hidden treasure in the uptown Garden District of New Orleans.
Location: Louisiana, United States
Date Posted: 9/9/2010 4:22:38 PM
Waymark Code: WM9NKD
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member MikeGolfJ3
Views: 3

Long Description:
The Washington Avenue firehouse was built in 1851. This engine house served the community until 1991 when its crew Engine #23, moved to new quarters at 2920 Magazine Street. In the early 1920's Engine #23 was the last firehouse to trade in its horses for a motorized vehicle. The New Orleans Fire Department Museum and Educational Center opened its doors in April of 1995. We are located at 1135 Washington Avenue at Camp Street. There are (2) two levels of firefighting, artifacts, memorabilia, tools, uniforms and photographs for viewing. Also there are hand pulled, horse drawn and motorized fire apparatus. Admission is free and donations are welcomed.

Watch desk- the city of New Orleans was the forth city in America to get the new fire alarm system made by Gamewell. The system works off of the Morse Code System and is still functional to this day.
Steam Fire Engine- This steam fire engine was built by the Ahrens Fire Engine company of Cincinnati, Ohio in 1896 for the City Of New Orleans
1927 Ahrens-Fox Fire Engine- this motorized fire engine could pump 750 gallons of water per-minute. This fire engine was used as a spare in New Orleans as late as 1974.
Hand Pull Ladder Truck- this ladder truck was pulled to fires by hand and only had ground ladders. It was made by Rumsey of St. Louis sometime in the 1860's.
Hand Pull Hand Pumper- this hand pumper was built in 1838 by Hunneman of Boston.
Fire Helmets- a display of fire helmets from all over the world.
Slide Pole- used to get from second floor to first floor in a hurry on a fire call.
Uniform- The firefighters uniform is the type that was worn when the fire department went paid on December 15, 1891. The badge was worn for only about the first two years of the paid department.
Cultural History

Street Address:
New Orleans Fire Department Museum and Educational Center 1135 Washington Avenue New Orleans, Louisiana 70130

Food Court: no

Gift Shop: no

Hours of Operation:
By Appointment Only To schedule a visit to an engine house or the museum call: (504) 658-4713

Cost: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Museum Size: Small

Relevant Web Site: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
In order to log this waymark in this category, you must be able to provide proof of your visit. Please post a picture of yourself or your GPSr in front some identifiable feature or point of interest either in the museum, or on the museum grounds.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest History Museums
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.