Old Sound Methodist Church (SC-92) - Roxana, DE
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member muffy53
N 38° 28.556 W 075° 08.269
18S E 487978 N 4258631
Quick Description: Site of a former Methodist Church
Location: Delaware, United States
Date Posted: 8/15/2010 1:53:25 AM
Waymark Code: WM9FRJ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Ernmark
Views: 4

Long Description:
It is located on Johnson Rd. just off of Zion Church Rd.
The inscription on the sign reads:
"In April, 1799, one of the state’s first Methodist societies was organized near this site by Reverend Freeborn Garrettson. On April 29, 1784, one acre of ground was purchased here for the erection of a “preaching house.” The Church became known as Williams Chapel, in honor of brothers Arthur and Ezekiel Williams, founding members and prominent local preachers. Services were conducted here until the congregation relocated to a nearby site purchased in 1871. The church building was moved from this location at that time. On December 7, 1896, the Trustees of the church conveyed the property to Charles W. Johnson and Eliza J. Williams, for use as a cemetery."
Visit Instructions:
Please include a picture of the sign with your GPS in the picture.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Delaware Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
muffy53 visited Old Sound Methodist Church (SC-92) - Roxana, DE 8/16/2010 muffy53 visited it