Holy Trinity, Weston, Herts, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member bill&ben
N 51° 57.215 W 000° 09.540
30U E 695218 N 5759688
Quick Description: A 12th century church with 15th century additions.
Location: Eastern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 8/11/2010 8:42:43 AM
Waymark Code: WM9EZJ
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Dorcadion Team
Views: 2

Long Description:
The parish church of the Holy Trinity stands to the south-east of the village on high ground, and is built of flint and coursed ironstone rubble; the quoins and dressings generally are of oolite and clunch. The roof is slated. The church consists of a chancel, nave with clearstory, north transept, central tower, south aisle and south porch and vestry.

The original cruciform church of the 12th century is now represented by the north transept, central tower and nave, and there are traces of a north chapel to the east of the transept. The south aisle, south porch and clearstory were added in the 15th century, and new windows were inserted. The original south transept was at the same time rebuilt so as to incorporate it in the aisle as its easternmost bay. The modern work includes the rebuilding of the chancel early in the 19th century and the upper portion of the central tower in 1867, besides extensive and somewhat drastic restoration between this date and 1880, when the vestry was added.

The modern chancel is of red brick, coated with stucco, a treatment also applied to the north transept.

In the north transept a blocked and partly destroyed semicircular arch in the east wall indicates the position of an opening to the destroyed north chapel. In the north and west walls are small single round-headed lights of the 12th century. The character of the south transept has been much disguised by the 15th-century alterations. The nave has two windows in the north wall, both of the 15th century, the eastern of two and the western of three lights with tracery.

The south aisle, which includes the south transept, has an east window of three traceried lights and three two-light south windows, all of the 15th century, and very like those of the nave.

The south doorway is original, of the same date as the windows, and the south porch, also of the 15th century, has an entrance archway of two moulded orders with shafted jambs.

The nave roof is of the 15th century, and rests on original grotesque corbels.
Building Materials: Stone

Visit Instructions:
Logs for Medieval churches waymark must contain a date found and any details about the visit there. Also photos and other experiences related to the building are welcome.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Medieval Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.