By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Moorestown - Smith-Cadbury Mansion
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member LowellHouseGuy
N 39° 57.767 W 074° 56.804
18S E 504549 N 4423627
Quick Description: Smith-Cadbury Mansion is home to the Historical Society of Moorestown.
Location: New Jersey, United States
Date Posted: 3/9/2006 4:52:49 PM
Waymark Code: WM8N3
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member LowellHouseGuy
Views: 19

Long Description:

The Smith-Cadbury Mansion is significant both because of its association with several of Moorestown's pioneering families and because it represents three early periods of design and braced-frame construction. The building should be known as either the Hogsett or HainesHumphries-Smith House because its earliest section was built between 1730 and 17 38 by either its first owner, Francis Hogsett, or his successor Nehemiah Haines. This now constitutes approximately the eastern two-thirds of the central portion of the house. It consisted of a hall-kitchen and parlor, each with a corner fireplace, and perhaps two rooms on the second floor.
In 1738, Haines sold the house to Joshua Humphries, a carpenter, who undoubtedly made alterations to it shortly thereafter. These consisted of an enlargement to the west and removal of the corner fireplace in the hall-kitchen. Both rooms were enlarged, the parlor by moving the partition between the two to the west, and the hall-kitchen by the addition, which included a large kitchen fireplace, and, probably, a bake oven along the east wall. Paneling from this period survives in the chamber above the former parlor, now a dining room.
In 1766, Humphries sold the house to Samuel Smith, whose family occupied it until 1798. Smith was responsible for a large addition to the east, which almost doubled the size of the house. This contains a "new Parlor" with an 18th-century paneled fireplace wall, and a stair hall across the north front, which retains its original staircase.
During the first three-quarters of the 19th century, the house was owned by members of the Harris and Haines families. Several alterations were made during this period, including the addition of some of the porches and changes to the interior door and window trim. The most interesting of these was the insertion of an iron oven and tub in the kitchen fireplace.
In 1921, the property was acquired by a member of the Cadbury family. In almost half a century of ownership, the Cadburys made many changes, including the addition of several bathrooms and kitchens to make apartments. The Historical Society of Moorestown purchased the house in 1910 and operates it as a museum.
Marker Name: Smith-Cadbury Mansion

Marker Type: Official NJ State

Marker text:
Olderst center portion circa 1738, with later additions 1760's. The Smith Mansion and 160 acre farm, which hosted Lafeyette during the American Revolution, was also raided by Hessian troups.


Dedication Date: 10/19/2000

City: Moorestown

County: Burlington

Group responsible for placement: Rancocas Valley Chapter of National Society of Colonial Dames

Web Link: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
A photo of the 'Marker' or 'Plaque' is required to identify the location, plus a picture of the 'Historic Site', please ALSO provide a detailed description of your visit so we can form a 'mental image'
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest New Jersey Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Math Teacher visited Moorestown - Smith-Cadbury Mansion 3/17/2008 Math Teacher visited it

View all visits/logs