By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Haddon Twp. - Saddler's Woods
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member LowellHouseGuy
N 39° 54.109 W 075° 03.544
18S E 494950 N 4416861
Quick Description: Saddler's Woods is named in honor of Joshua Saddler, a runaway slave credited as the first non-indigenous preservationist of the woods.
Location: New Jersey, United States
Date Posted: 3/7/2006 11:57:14 AM
Waymark Code: WM8H4
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member chstress53
Views: 20

Long Description:

Saddler's Woods is a 25.8 acre, old growth forest fragment which provides a good example of what the landscape looked like when European settlers arrived. Before European settlers arrived, the area around Newton Creek was inhabited by the Leni Lenape Native American tribes. The landscape was heavily forested around the creek area. A Leni Lenape trail running between the ferry at Cooper's Point in Camden and Haddonfield is now Haddon Avenue. When Europeans first arrived in the area known today as Haddon Township, (in the early 1600’s) the forests which covered New Jersey were cleared for farms, pastures, residential and commercial use and timbered for lumber and fuel. As the trees disappeared, the ecosystem of the forest was badly compromised. Joshua Saddler In the late 1830's a fugitive slave, Jonathan Fisher escaped from a Maryland plantation with his wife and two daughters. They reached New Jersey and soon found work with Cy Evans, a local Quaker farmer. Fearing that his former master might hear of his whereabouts, Jonathan took the name of "Joshua Saddler". Upon learning of his new employer's negative feelings on slavery, he told him of his escape. Mr. Evans received word of inquiries being made about Joshua by his old master, who was in New Jersey on business. Mr. Evans feared for Joshua's safety and eventually was able to bargain with the plantation owner to sell him the runaway slave for a rather small sum. This act secured Joshua's safety and freedom. Later, Joshua repaid Mr. Evans the sum of his "freedom" money. Years later, Mr. Evans bought Joshua a plot and built him a small house. As word spread of the new haven, other African-Americans came and built homes. In time, a town was formed and named "Saddlertown" in honor of Joshua Saddler. Joshua Saddler gave protection to his forest property in his will, stating that none of his heirs could cut the timber down. This helped to preserve the forest for us today. Originally Saddlertown was comprised of 50 acres, but it has now dwindled down to under five. Historic Rhoades Chapel was built by Quakers as a school for African - American children. It was used as a haven for slaves.
Marker Name: Welcome to Sadder's Wood Historic Conservation Area

Marker Type: Local? Unofficial

Marker text:
These woods are in the Newton Creek woodshed and contain old growth ecosystem, woodlands amd wetlands. Sadlers woods are named in honor of Joshua Saddler... a slave on a Maryland Plantation and escaped to freedom with his wife and children in the late 1830's. Nearby Saddlertown became an all black community and some of their descendats still live there today.


Dedication Date: 01/10/2004

City: Haddon Township

County: Camden

Group responsible for placement: Saddler's Wood Conservation Association

Web Link: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
A photo of the 'Marker' or 'Plaque' is required to identify the location, plus a picture of the 'Historic Site', please ALSO provide a detailed description of your visit so we can form a 'mental image'
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest New Jersey Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Math Teacher visited Haddon Twp. - Saddler's Woods 8/31/2011 Math Teacher visited it