Stony Point Evangelical Lutheran Church - Rural Douglas County, Kansas
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 38° 49.547 W 095° 12.662
15S E 308063 N 4299766
Quick Description: This Church and cemetery are located at 1575 N. 600 Rd. in rural Douglas County, Kansas.
Location: Kansas, United States
Date Posted: 11/2/2009 9:09:57 PM
Waymark Code: WM7K1M
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Lat34North
Views: 2

Long Description:
The church sits atop a dramatic valley, maintaining a western facade orientation. The site is treed with mature plantings. The cemetery stands to the south of the church provides for a setting that has changed little over time.

The church measures 24' from north to south and 42' from east to west. The rectangular gable roof structure stands on a native limestone foundation. Its wood frame is sheathed with cedar lap siding. A composition roof was installed in 2001 protects the building. In 2003 the asbestos tile siding applied in 1956 was removed and the original wood siding was repaired, primed and painted in 2005. A three step concrete platform leads up to the entry doorway. This modification occurred in 1901, replacing the original wooden porch.

Eight 4/4, double hung sash windows fenestrate the building. Three windows pierce the north and south elevations each, two windows fenestrate the western facade, framing the center door. The wooden, 4/4 paneled double entry door is surmounted by a three paned, fixed transom. Pedimented wooden lintels surmount the facade windows and center entry door. The windows measure 29 1/2" wide by 84" high.

The building retains an original interior appearance. A row of pews stands on either side of the center aisle, pews for the choir stand on the north side of the raised altar. The interior walls measure 11' high, the windows are 34' above the floor. Tongue-and-groove, wooden wainscoting lines the walls below the windows. A wood floor runs lengthwise. The plaster walls are finished with a coat of green Alabastone, which was applied in 1935.

A historic wood-frame outhouse, date of construction unknown, is located to the rear (east) of the church and is contributing to the nomination. The relatively large acreage also contains a cemetery that is historically associated with the church but is not part of the nomination.

While the Stony Point Evangelical Lutheran Church's active use spanned less than a twenty-five year period, it served its congregation during a time of great growth for the Lutheran Church in Kansas. In 1878 there were two Lutheran organizations in Douglas County, including 90 members. The smaller congregation was Christ's Evangelical Lutheran Church. Statewide the Lutheran Church boasted 4,560 members in 1878, by 1886 that number had grown to 11,651. In 1906, the Lutheran Church was the sixth largest denomination in Kansas, with a membership of 28,642.

- National Register Application



Street address:
1575 N 600 Rd
Baldwin City, Ks USA
66006


County / Borough / Parish: Douglas County

Year listed: 2006

Historic (Areas of) Significance: Religion

Periods of significance: 1882-1907

Historic function: Church

Current function: Vacant

Privately owned?: yes

Primary Web Site: [Web Link]

Secondary Website 1: [Web Link]

Season start / Season finish: Not listed

Hours of operation: Not listed

Secondary Website 2: Not listed

National Historic Landmark Link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and brief account of your visit. Include any additional observations or information that you may have, particularly about the current condition of the site. Additional photos are highly encouraged, but not mandatory.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest U.S. National Register of Historic Places
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
wardnkathy visited Stony Point Evangelical Lutheran Church - Rural Douglas County, Kansas 1/31/2010 wardnkathy visited it