The Cage, Shenley, Hertfordshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member bill&ben
N 51° 41.559 W 000° 16.890
30U E 687885 N 5730353
Quick Description: A lock up by the village pond in Shenley
Location: Eastern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 10/12/2009 9:32:05 AM
Waymark Code: WM7E24
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 6

Long Description:
Situated by the village pond is the Cage or ‘lock-up’, a domed-shaped building bearing the inscription ‘Do well. Fear Not. Be sober. Be Vigilant’. The building served as a temporary prison for those accused of offences, until the local constable took them to be charged before the magistrates at Barnet or St Albans Court.

The Cage is thought to date from the 18th century, and is one of the last remaining roundhouse gaols in England.

It is thought that Patrick Connolly, who killed James Grainge - Special Constable & Shenley Shoemaker - in 1823, was held here under guard overnight before being taken to Hertford Gaol. This killing was the first killing of a policeman in Hertfordshire.

The Cage fell into gradual disuse when gaols were built in Barnet and St. Albans. It was used once during the 1914-18 war to confine an army deserter and then again during World War II as an Air Raid Precautions post - complete with telephone.

The Cage has undergone several restorations, most recently in the 1990's.

Information sourced from :-

(visit link)
Open to the public: No

Address: Not listed

Hours: Not listed

Fees?: Not listed

Web link: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
In order to add a new log to the waymark of this category, simply take another photo of the prison from a different angle than the other posts. Also add to the history of the jail when possible.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Retired Prisons
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
The Mekon visited The Cage, Shenley, Hertfordshire 7/23/2010 The Mekon visited it